back to article Welcome to Superbork: Where high-street fashion meets high-strung Windows

We take a break from crashed cashpoints in today's instalment of The Register's occasional series of unhappy computers to bring you the latest from fashion sensation Superdry. Spotted by a Register reader in the UK's Bluewater shopping centre, the retailer's digital signage has taken a break from its relentless plugging of …

1. Vimes

I still recall going through Heathrow about 20 years ago. Every two or three minutes most of the departure monitors appeared to reboot and we were treated to the old 'Windows 95 - with internet explorer' boot screen shown rotated 90 degrees.

One would hope the real air traffic control system was a little better designed, even back then. Unless of course somebody wanted to add new meaning to the words 'blue screen of death'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

HAL do their own thing

HAL (no not the one from 2001) but Heathrow Airports Ltd (or that is what they used to be called) generally do their own thing when it comes to Airport Terminal Systems. NIH used to reign supreme.

Perhaps it still does. I stopped working for them around 2007 so using W95 in a terminal display would have been very possible.

I wonder if HAL has embraced AWS/AZURE yet? Off premises cloud would have been right up the street of my former bosses. Anything to cut costs was the orfer of the day but IMHO, you really need your systems close at hand when running (or trying to run) something as complex as Heathrow.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Point and laugh

Now I'm retired I can look at these IT borks and laugh.

Now, where's me flat cap?

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Point and laugh

The whippet is holding it at the door.

1. Sgt_Oddball
        Windows

Re: Point and laugh

Whilst looking menacingly at the kids staring at the 'get off my land' sign...

3. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Times are strange

when you can truthfully report that a urinal in a motorway has crashed (and not due to vandalism). I encountered that in Germany, when a display full of the usual adverts built into the urinal suddenly displayed a message along the lines of "Android error count exceeded", and then proceeded to reboot. As the error message was perfectly timed with me starting to urinate I felt slightly disconcerted. One almost wonders if someone was trying to play tricks on the users.

1. Vimes

Re: Times are strange

You should only have been concerned if you had heard a voice telling you 'I'm sorry Dave. I can't let you do that' as you started...

1. cynic 2
        Black Helicopters

Nah. It's just a modern variant of the Voigt-Kampf test.

1. The First Dave
          Headmaster

Technically, I think you mean an early version thereof...

2. Claverhouse Silver badge

...The usual adverts built into the urinal

You what ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like