back to article Watch this space: Chinese mobe flinger OPPO flexes first shot at the wearables market

OPPO has whipped the sheets off its first watch – imaginatively titled the OPPO Watch. The news coincided with the unveiling of the OPPO Find X2 smartphone, which the Chinese tech brand introduced at a London event earlier today. The OPPO Watch comes in 1.6-inch and 1.91-inch AMOLED flavours, with the latter having a 72.6 per …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Seems like a nice bit of kit

Now what's the word on security and privacy ?

Why is there no mention of that in its specifications ?

Not that I'd want one anyway, but I think it's time that all this tat have basic security concerns addressed in the marketing spiel, not just the tech stuff (even though I'll be the first to admit that tech stuff is by far more interesting, but shh, don't tell anybody).

2. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Apple engaging legal weaponry in 3.... 2....

1. GekkePrutser

Well... I wonder. There's many Apple design ripoffs lately that haven't been (at least publicly) challenged.

I think Apple has had enough of this since the drawn-out lawsuits with Samung whose early Galaxy phones were very Apple-ish. It also caused a lot of proprietary Apple design documents to become public record, which is not very comfortable for a company so heavily invested in secrecy. They battled in many countries and verdicts fell back and forth.. After all was said and done I doubt it was actually worth it. They got half a billion in one of them which is pocket money for Apple.

I could imagine they don't deem it worth the effort as they're probably not really losing sales over it. People that want an Apple watch will not buy this just because it looks so similar.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

All true, but there are 2 arguments that could mean they go for it -

1. Iif you don't defend a patent then it could result in losing rights under that patent (which could harm their future business), and

2. Half a billion is pocket money to Apple (and Samsung) but not to many other companies which might be tempted to give it a go if there were no legal consequences.

For Apple it's primarily about protecting the brand/preventing dilution.

1. veti Silver badge

Not true, defending a patent is completely at the owner's discretion.

I'm sure Apple owns some smartwatch patents. So too does Microsoft, and Google, and even IBM. And I wouldn't be surprised if Oppo owns a few of its own. This is not some obscure upstart we're talking about, it's a company that slings upwards of 100 million phones a year. That's three times as many as Motorola.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Veti, you're not correct. If you choose not to defend a patent within a reasonable timeframe, you run the risk of being denied relief. Aspex vs Clariti, Inc is a classic case in point.

Generally speaking, US patent law holds that although the statute of limitations on a patent infringement suit is 6 years, failure to initiate proceedings within THREE years risks legal estoppel, i.e. the patent holder is no longer permitted to deny the validity of title to the infringer.

Google Legal Estoppel for more.

3. GekkePrutser

It vaguely reminds me of something... I can't remember what :P

And seriously, don't bring up the excuse of "There's only so many ways to make a smartwatch". This is designed to look exactly like an Apple watch, not a result of a separate design arriving at the same conclusion.

One thing that surprises me is that they skinned WearOS. I thought that was expressly forbidden with WearOS (a stipulation from the time when it was still Android Wear). Manufacturers were no longer allowed to customise the OS that way, due to the mess that created with Android in terms of usability and updates.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

If that was a condition, Google has either reversed it or ignored it. I can't say I know very much about the various watches, but I know that many manufacturers have their own skin over it. I think it's at least partially because every manufacturer has a different screen and hardware layout and they want to customize things. For example, rather than use a couple of standard screen aspect ratios as is done on phones, watches will have any shape of rectangular screen that the manufacturer thinks looks good (or can buy cheaply), and sometimes they will go for a circular or curved screen as well. They probably want to make their main screens neatly fit those nonstandard situations so the users don't know how badly other people's apps will look on them.

2. Gerrardstut

I thought it's apple watch lool

4. David Pearce

My experience with Oppo phones was rare security updates and they stopped completely very quickly. A pity as it was a very good smartphone

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020