back to article Stop us if you've heard this one before: HP Inc rejects Xerox's $36.5bn buyout plan as takeover saga drags on

It's all getting a bit boring but HP Inc's board has again unanimously rejected Xerox's $36.5bn buyout bid, saying it low-balls their valuation of the company and "disproportionately benefits" Xerox shareholders. In a statement issued to investors last night, HP recommended for the umpteenth time that its stock owners do not …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"the offer remains too low"

Well gosh, whaddya know, being Icahn may just not be enough to clinch a deal after all ?

Despite all your bluster, Carl, it seems that there are experts out there who disagree with your lofty views on how much HP is worth for your enjoyment.

That's gotta sting.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

FTFY

Its pronounced Icahn't

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "the offer remains too low"

Can someone please make Carl Icahn poor ?

2. Raphael

won't someone think about Canon :P

I also read yesterday that Canon has stated that if the Xerox/HP merger were to happen, they would end their 35 year relationship with the company. That would remove about 14% of HP's sales.

Source: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-deals/Canon-to-cut-ties-with-HP-if-Xerox-takes-over

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: won't someone think about Canon :P

From the article:

“HP, which buys laser-printer components from Canon, is among the Japanese manufacturer's biggest customers, generating nearly 14% of its sales”

So 14% of Canons sales are components sold to HP. It’s not clear what the impact of that would be to HP Inc or if Xerox make suitable alternatives.

I wasn’t aware HP Inc were so dependent on Canon for parts...

1. tcmonkey

For a very long time now the engine in most if not all HP lasers has been a Canon design. HP just bolt on the ancillary bits (plastics, embedded print server, UI and what-have-you) and then sell the unit as if they made it all themselves.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I didn't realise...

So HP Inc basically just make plastic covers and cases for other peoples tech?

If Xerox have a replacement engine, that would be a huge reason to merge - the combined market size and a big hit to a competitors revenue...

1. Montreal Sean

Xerox also doesn't make it's own engines, they used to be Lexmark for the bigger printers, but now they are using Konica Minolta engines.

For their big copiers it may be Xerox engines though.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Having attended a lecture under NDA at Xerox, I can confirm they make their big copiers, and that they have very good reason to do so.

Also the Tektronix technology used in their wax transfer printers.

1. Montreal Sean

@Benson's Cycle

Those wax transfer printers (ColorQube) deliver beautiful prints, but I'll be happy to never repair one again.

Those 8700 series printers take almost 10 minutes to power up, which makes troubleshooting a potential hours long job.

2. P.B. Lecavalier

We all knew that HP was just wrapping up parts made by others for PCs.

I thought there was something original in their printer business... How I was wrong.

Remember when Michael Scott explains to kids that all they do is get the paper from the mill then sell it with a markup?

3. tcmonkey

I was a little unfair with my first post. I believe HP did/do make the formatter unit on their lasers, which is the big brain in the machine responsible for translating PS/PDF/PCL into a bitmap image that the engine can actually put onto a piece of paper. These days you can do that with a crappy ARM board and some open source software, but back in the day it was a big deal.

Unsure what Xerox are doing, but based on the other comments it sounds like they have a similar gig going.

2. big_D Silver badge

The first LaserJets were basically badged Canon parts. They've always used Canon technology in laser, as far as I know.

2. NeilPost Silver badge

I’d think Canon would fight back.

Canon/Seiko-Epson anyone ??

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You're likely correct - the printer/copier/MFA market has been consolidating for some time, so Canon are likely to merge or acquire as well in reaction to this.

The point is more that the initial scepticism to HP Inc/Xerox becoming one was that it wasn't a good fit - the reality is that HP Inc acquiring Xerox probably would make sense if the board weren't prepared to sit there and watch their market share get taken away while they resell their competitors components.

While I'm not going to suggest the success is guaranteed for the Xerox/HP Inc merger, there are a number of reasons that it could be a very successful venture assuming it isn't weighed down by too much debt and Xerox/HP Inc still have people who can develop new printers.

3. The Nazz

Strategy Option?

Let's say Xerox already own 15% of HP Stock.

Wouldn't they be better off offering the market say upto $30 a share until they've acquired another 36-37% and gained the controlling interest?

Total outlay gotta be cheaper surely?

1. James Anderson

Re: Strategy Option?

But that would require actual cash. These buyouts are based on taking out loans using the bought company shares as security, then, transferring the debt to the bought company.

Basically it’s a sophisticated form of asset stripping.

2. VanguardG

That would make sense, from a math standpoint. But you would never get a look at the books, no due diligence phase. You could easily succeed in getting a majority of stock and force a takeover, only to find out you bought a house of cards.

3. Morten Bjoernsvik

>Wouldn't they be better off offering the market say upto $30 a share until they've acquired another >36-37% and gained the controlling interest?

Icahn does not have that money, He has some strange idea that Xerox is undervalued and HP overvalued and synergies will make profits soars and finding their "optimal" performance. He's betting the HP board will agree. As always the losers will be HP and Xerox Workforce with massive layoffs and the winner will be the Wall street bankers financing this Utopia.

1. Tom 35

No, Icahn just wants them to borrow a ton of cash, give a bunch of it to him, then he will move on to the next company and let HP/Xerox wallow and die. That's how he has made his pile of cash.

4. luis river

friendly merger necessary

Like most of the time in this world, the elites put the "scoop" first and then talk, in this case both Xerox and HP inc prefer to go into irresponsible borrowing to get a chair in the direction. Enrique Lores very bad... the only elegant and economically viable outlet is a friendly merger, but it's not for the job. Disappointing. !!

·

1. Gothmog

Re: friendly merger necessary

Are you Donald Trump?

5. tcmonkey

I wonder what happens to the non-printing bit of HP Inc once Xerox acquires them. I'd say that the acquisition is all but a certainty at this point, but surely Xerox isn't going to want all the PC bits associated with them?

I was looking at new laptops recently, and HP had some semi-interesting stuff. Trouble is the vultures are circling at almost the speed of sound at this point, and I'm not at all confident about getting support in 18 months time.

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Dell PC/Laptop sales was one of the highlights of their recent numbers. The bounceback from tablets and declining HW refresh reductions.

HP should be similar.

1. jelabarre59

Dell PC/Laptop sales was one of the highlights of their recent numbers.

That's just because Dell has re-entered their "Crap" phase again.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

R&D

"Xerox lacks focus on R&D spending." Somewhat like the pot calling the kettle black. HP (the HP after the RealHP(tm), but before the hideous cluster of rumps HP (HPE et al)) threw research overboard as being so much unnecessary cost center baggage and still has not recovered. Xerox seemed unable to ever monetize the beautiful bits of research they had as in "Xerox PARC' and still can't, if they even have any research organization left.

I view this as: take the best bid and run. Xerox is providing an escape from financial HPerdition; especially now with the markets down and Xerox offering enough non-depressed cash vs. depressed stock. One can usefully buy something better than the taped together combination of two wrecked and sinking ships.

1. Ozan

Re: R&D

If I was in HP shares, I may take the cash and run off. Though not cash and xerox shares.

However, Merger is not that well for shareholders. Too much depth would be generated.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, the board says its a $hitty deal which would create a bad post deal company:

"The Xerox offer would leave our shareholders with an investment in a combined company that is burdened with an irresponsible level of debt and which would subsequently require unrealistic, unachievable synergies that would jeopardize the entire company."

But the board also says the offer isn't enough:

"The board at HP also said they had received an "inadequacy opinion" from Goldman Sachs and Guggenheim Securities that the offer remains too low."

So if the resulting company is bad due to the massive debt, then how is more money in the deal (and more debt) the solution?

Its just a negotiating strategy!

1. Tom 35

They are OK with a good company -or- bags of cash to abandon a sinking company.

8. TeeCee Gold badge

Xerox

So, having had their offer rejected, they copied it and sent it again?

I admire the consistency of their corporate culture.

1. Tom 35

Re: Xerox

Surly they Xeroxed the offer.

9. macjules
    Facepalm

Putting the cat amongst the pigeons ..

How about HP accept an offer from Huawei for their stock?

10. blandersong

Just like the title says, "if you've heard this one before". I recall when Microsoft was trying to buyout Yahoo, and Yahoo rejected. What a shame. Our world is moving to more digital documents, and printer volume will decline. HP should sell now!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've been hearing about the death of printing since 1980. I believe that during that 40 years,volume has gone up.

11. a_yank_lurker

Scum Meet Slime

About all this proposed merger does is take 2 washed up has beens into 1 larger washed up has been. I expect both to shrivel into even smaller husks of their former glory with one possibly joining the Dodos without the merger. Together there is less chance of survival. For once the HP board is showing something resembling intelligence and a spine to telling Xerox to buzz off.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like