back to article Can you hear me now? Roadtesting Anker's first Bluetooth speakerphone

Conference calls are an inevitable part of corporate life. But how do you reconcile that with life on the road, away from your pricey Polycom system? Devices like Anker's PowerConf portable speakerphone may help. Anker is somewhat of an interesting duck. It is perhaps best known for its cables and portable batteries, which …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I have to admit, this thing sounds good

I have no use for such product at this time, but I will keep it mind for the future. No telling when it may come in handy in building a multi-national company environment.

2. Cuddles Silver badge

a touch bigger than a hockey puck

How big is a hockey puck? I'll accept square linguine as an alternative to nanoWales (or are we talking volume, in which case it's presumably somewhere between chicken egg and grapefruit?), but either way it would be nice to have measurements in a form that doesn't rely on an obscure sport largely absent from this country.

1. Fred Dibnah Silver badge

Re: an obscure sport largely absent from this country

"The number of people playing hockey in England amounted to 142,600 monthly participants in 2016. The share of children playing hockey has decreased from 17.7 percent of 11 to 15-year-olds in 2013 to 13.8 percent in 2016."

https://www.statista.com/topics/4027/hockey-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

For comparison, around 12% of secondary students play cricket, so that doesn't sound like an obscure or largely absent sport to me, unless by 'absent' you mean absent from TV and radio. Plus, the GB team won gold in the 2016 Olympics.

1. AIBailey Silver badge

Hockey != Ice Hockey

2. Chris G Silver badge

A hockey puck would tend to get stuck in the grass in British hockey, a ball onbthe orher hand, would roll quite well.

3. Fred Dibnah Silver badge
        FAIL

Duh. 12,000 ice hockey players in the UK, so it's a fair cop, I surrender.

2. Robert Grant Silver badge

Re: a touch bigger than a hockey puck

The "look ma" in the subtitle is another clue to this article's provenance.

3. IHateWearingATie
      Coat

Maybe El Reg should add 'urinal cake' to the range of acceptable measures?

Admittedly not helpful for those readers who don't use urinals, but they could suggest a suitable alternative.

1. Sgt_Oddball Silver badge
        Windows

The problem with Urinal cakes are a lack of uniformity on their size. Especially if used or chewed(!)...

That and a likelihood accusations of taking the piss....

1. Gordon 10 Silver badge
          Windows

Yes is it one of the round yellow ones with a hole in the middle or the smaller blue ones that look like the offspring of an ice cube and those packing chips?

3. Zog_but_not_the_first Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Anker

I like Anker stuff. Their eufy cameras are great.

Not a shill, er I mean influencer, just a satisfied customer.

1. moiety Silver badge

Re: Anker

I bought one of their USB charging cables a couple of years ago after people from Reddit were gushing about them. Am very happy with it. I have no use whatsoever for this particular product; but I probably would buy stuff with their brand on it over something else. They do seem (so far, as far as I know) to try for quality and that should be encouraged with money...it's a seemingly rare phenomenon these days.

2. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse Silver badge

Re: Anker

No need to justify your statement from my perspective as I also really like their stuff. I bought one of their Soundcore mini bluetooth speakers for a camping trip last year, and considering it's size it chucks out some serious volume.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020