back to article Vivo's APEX 2020 concept smartphone grabs life by the gimbals to shoot stable snaps

Vivo has introduced the third generation of its APEX concept phones – the APEX 2020. This handset packs a bunch of new experimental features, largely centred around its display and camera technology, which might eventually make their way to production phones from Vivo and others. That's the thing – Vivo's APEX phones never …

1. Frederic Bloggs

Why not have internal OIS on a phone?

After all, there are plenty of examples out there. Even Canon now offer internal OIS on their latest full frame mirrorless R5. Many of their small snappers have it. Sony (where many phones get their imaging chips from) have had internal OIS on most of their models for years. There are many other examples including Panasonic (another source of imaging chippery), Fuji and just about anyone else that makes cameras worth having. I'm sure Nikon will catch up soon :-)

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

You're talking about camera makers. Vivo makes phones. Even if phones can take pictures, they are not cameras. I prefer pics taken with my Canon EOS 400D over the ones taken with my Samsung A3 any day.

1. Frederic Bloggs

Sony (amongst others) make sensors and other imaging chippery which end up in many phones. They (or someone else) may now be experimenting with phone sized OIS.

2. Matt_payne666

Re: Why not have internal OIS on a phone?

Plenty of phones do have internal OIS It's been about for at least 6 years... certainly on the iPhone 6 and upwards, the Lumia 920 had it and most mid-tier android phones these days.

Binning off ois i suppose allows for a more robust module and i guess would be marginally smaller/allow a larger sensor for same footprint.

Software stabilisation is getting really good.. the go-pro hero7 video is scarily smooth

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What really matters is...

does it have a 3.5mm jack? Why isn't that covered?!

3. Robert Grant

particularly when most phones are shipping with batteries north of 5,000 mAh

I don't think that's true.

4. doublelayer Silver badge

whether it holds up to the typical 24-month phone lifespan

I think you'll find that phones are typically expected to live much longer than that. I'm not just talking about we tech people who expect everything to last for decades and get grumpy when it doesn't. Check with your friends and family and see how old their devices are. I'm guessing you'll find quite a few ones older than three years. Sure, some have new devices, but this is usually because the one they had before it really got too old or, more likely, got broken. When smartphones were newer, the new device would well outstrip the two-year-old device, making people want to buy the newer one to use its new features. Now that this is no longer the case, fewer people have the desire to buy each new product, and while some still do, the average consumer doesn't.

1. Sampler

Re: whether it holds up to the typical 24-month phone lifespan

Came here to state similar, two years seems to be what our airtime providers believe is a lifespan before they can sell us a new device but I've been on a four year device lifecycle for my last three phones, my galaxy note 8 (like the 4 before it) will probably wait until the 21 (I guess it'll be called, as we're getting s20's instead of s11's).

That said, I could replace the battery in my Note4 myself, I don't fancy trying that with the 8, maybe I'll just go back to it, afterall, the better camera isn't /that/ much better and that was about it.

5. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Nice but, yet again, the thing will be spoilt by telecos installing their own take on what people will find irresistible (but, inevitably quite the opposite) and other sundry non-removeable bloatware.

Plain vanilla OS please, telecos, and a carefully curated store of all that stuff you're sure we will find irresistible. You probably won't even need a working server for that.

1. Down not across

Plain vanilla OS please, telecos, and a carefully curated store of all that stuff you're sure we will find irresistible. You probably won't even need a working server for that.

Can't see that happening anytime soon. Probably not ever. Too many tie-ins/lock-ins/"monetization" for telcos to stop bundling unremovble crapware.

The easy solution is to stop buying the device from the telco. Just get SIM only deal and buy the device yourself.

6. PerlyKing
    Headmaster

The proof of the pudding

From the fine article:

as always, the proof will be in the pudding.

You will write out 100 times:

the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

See details here.

As you were.

7. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

A small sensor in a comparatively large body bodes well for truly epic image stabilisation. Despite it's age the Pansonic GH5 still stabilises video in-body far better than it's competitors which use larger sensors. It's why I haven't bought a Sony or Fuji - the Fuji XT-4 does OIS well but the body size has grown somewhat with it's addition and the abrupt auto exposure/ISO lets it down, else I'd have been interested in purchasing that. DSLR and mirrorless gimbals are so clunky to pack and operate but if you want silky smooth footage... I should imagine that the mechanical OIS is only part of this VIVO camera phone's overall OIS solution and even if the mechanical part breaks down, the software side will contiue to work albeit with less stable results. Someday a phone camera will be freaking awesome.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like