back to article Realme's 5G handset is a bargain at €599 – but it's only for cool young people. Sorry

Unfazed by the cancellation of Mobile World Congress, Realme has pulled the sheets off its latest blower – the Realme X50 Pro 5G. Although Realme isn't a household name, you're probably familiar with some of its sister brands, including OPPO and Vivo. It's owned by the same parent company, BBK Electronics, and debuted on the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Send all my data to Google - very quickly; when 5G eventually deploys.

It's not particularly interesting financially.

It's got the looks of "bleugh"..

It runs "feel free to note down and then sell my life to all and sundry" Android.

It's just another smartphone which can't challenge China or Apple.

So remind me what the advantages are..

1. Aladdin Sane
      Facepalm

Re: can't challenge China

Except it is Chinese

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Isn't virtually any phone (Samsung possible excepted) Chinese?

It is all down to how much of your data goes to the PRC and how much gets to the Slurper in Chief (aka Google). If the latter gets close to zero if your life then I see that as goodness. Not much but enough.

By why only for Millenials? Is there something in the phone that detects an 'Old Grumpy' trying to use it and sends 10KVa into the hands of the user?

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
          Joke

Close . . . it listens for the sound of complaining about lack of replaceable battery or headphone jack or long-winded reminiscing about old Nokia phones; if detected, the phone randomly sends your personal data via Snapchat to assorted Internet trolls.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Trollface

No problem, I've got rubber gloves.

The same ones I'd use to try and clean up the sick that appears to have gotten all over the back of these phones.

3. krismach

Google has moved their production to Vietnam. So Pixel 5 and later will be produced there instead of China.

There is also Sony, LG and HTC. And lesser known brands like Asus that are not made in China.

And I'm not sure if Nokia is made in china or not, but it is possible it's not. And finally iPhones for US market will not be made in China.

But yes, we definitely need more companies not relying so heavily on just China.

1. Aladdin Sane

HTC is sort of made in China.

4. cbars Bronze badge

Who cares? I see less harm in the Chinese taking my personal info than my own government (UK), or America. The Chinese cant get at me for thought crime so they are only interested in industrial secrets. As an individual this is no threat, as a business you take measures to keep your secrets out of peoples phones.... bish bash bosh.

I dont buy Huawei being under state control as the problem, it's just the wrong state.

2. applebyJedi

Oy!

What’s wrong with Middlesbrough, I got my Masters degree at Teesside University!

1. Andrew 6

Re: Oy!

So did I, aswell as my undergrad, and Im from a nearby town.

There's plenty wrong with Boro! And rust certainly fits

It's also a decent place in its own way too

2. Mobile Mole

Re: Oy!

I studied Software Engineering at Teesside Polytechnic. The 'boro has definitely improved since then, but I still don't go back there unless I have to

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it bad I like the look of the green? I always thought I didn’t really care about the colour...

1. CountCadaver Silver badge

I quite like it and the red tbh, better than some of the honking colours samsung has come up with - rose gold, looks more like some sickly pink

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like