back to article Hey, remember Microsoft's IoT Linux gear? After two years, Azure Sphere is finally here

Arriving fashionably late, Azure Sphere, Microsoft's take on turning the Internet of Sh*t into the Internet of Updates, has finally reached General Availability. Though the homepage for the tech was still festooned with "Preview" at the time of writing, after nearly two years, the time has finally come. Back in April 2018, …

1. gerdesj Silver badge
    Windows

Cool - more competition

I'm a dyed in the wool Penguinista but I love to see competition in the IoT space. I've just browsed over the website and it looks like a serious effort to do the job properly. These things look like they will appear somewhere beneath a RPi in price/performance etc but will compete with something like the ESP8266 or ESP32. Those two babies paired up with ESPHome and the like are very decent indeed and have a serious following already.

My desk is covered in Dupont wires, ESP things, sensors, and mini breadboards. Next to my phone charger I have a ESP32 with a water proof DS18B20 based temperature sensor. It is also an iBeacon. That is about £8 worth of parts. When the 3D printer turns up, it will get a case (once I've assembled it.) I can simultaneously set up a SAN, solder a dry joint and run my company. Who says men can't multi-task!

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

IoT and Security in the same sentence?

No, it's a market space of make it fast, give it a good back story and slick advertising. Don't spend money on testing or updates. When sales drop off, discontinue the line and sell something new. By the time the exploits are well know, the product is no longer "supported".

I think IoT is fine the way it is in a Darwinian sort of way. People that get burned should learn not to touch the hot stove again.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: IoT and Security in the same sentence?

Worse. IoT, security and Microsoft in the same sentence.

And it's not even close to April 1st yet ...

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Meh

"kept up to date in a way that, frankly, an awful lot of IoT gizmos are not"

This is both good *AND* bad.

And if forced updates for Win-10-nic are ANY indicator, mostly *BAD*.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah, if I want my IoT sensors to BOSD this will be great. I'll give it a miss thanks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020