back to article Is it OPPOsites day? Chinese smartphone giant expected to develop its own silicon

You can count the number of phone manufacturers who design their own silicon on one hand – Huawei, Samsung and Apple. But soon you'll be able to add OPPO to that list. A recent memo circulated internally points to a new effort, called the Mariana Plan, which will see the company design its own in-house SoC for mobile devices …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TL;DR - sounds good

Count me in.

I think from 2100, the dominance of Apple et al will be considered a phase. Cheers Donald !

1. Captain Hogwash
      Pint

Re: TL;DR - sounds good

Something to look forward to when I'm 134.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Making you pretty much my age - born 1966 :)

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

You think this gives the OPPOsition more to worry about?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mariana Plan?

Chuck Qualcomm down the world's deepest hole? They'll have company.

3. Chris G

Mariana Plan

That'll piss off the yanks, they think they own the Marianas Trench as the islands of the same name are US territory and the trench is a declared US National Monument. So they can accuse another Chinese company of not only being a security risk but stealing American place names as well.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Mariana Plan

Personally, I don't mind the name 'Mariana' being used. However, what I _DO_ mind is the potential theft of intellectual property in the design of these el-cheapo (knockoff) smart phone CPUs (etc.).

Question: HOW much of their design is a RIP-OFF of Qualcomm? With all of the purchasing of U.S. tech companies (for example) in order to TAKE THEIR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY so that they can use it for (government-owned) companies in China, then DUMP the stuff onto the market at ridiculous prices in order to BANKRUPT the other companies around the world... THAT is the kind of behavior I would expect.

Lesson: THIS is what happens when you TEACH YOUR COMPETITOR how to MAKE YOUR STUFF. (especially when they don't respect your I.P. laws)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So is my $299 aud 4000 mAh 64 GB Oppo ax7 dual Sim with long battery life gonna be banned for national security to keep high paid old geezers employed in aususa public service who generally believe in low taxes and small government despite living very well on the taxpayers dime or will I have to run Huawei OS instead and use the red store instead of Google Play?

5. Waseem Alkurdi

OPPO's parent firm is believed to have spent $12.6bn on chips during 2019

No fish to go with that?

(internal pun intended)

6. Wade Burchette

I miss Oppo blu-ray players

I bought an Oppo 4K blu-ray player. It was great because it did one thing, but it did it well: play movies. Unlike the others that were clogged with "smart" garbage I neither want nor need, Oppo's player just played movies. If you recorded something, you just pop in your USB drive and it would play no matter what format it was in. I went to their website to buy another one of these great players but sadly, Oppo discontinued it. Why can't other TV's and disc players follow Oppo's example and focus on doing only one thing?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like