back to article MWC now means 'Mostly Without Companies', as Nokia, HMD Global, Facebook, and BT drop out

Another day, another bunch of wary vendors have dropped out of MWC over fears of the novel coronavirus. This time it's Nokia, BT, Vodafone and Deutsche Telekom that are withdrawing. "Nokia has been carefully monitoring the situation following the outbreak of the novel coronavirus, with the goal of making a fact-based decision …

1. Warm Braw Silver badge

...it can claim insurance after its cancellation

I wonder if the same can be said for those who have already booked travel and accommodation to visit the non-existent stands?

2. David Austin

Virtual Conferance

if any conference could become an online event, as just about every communication provider is/should be there, you'd think MCW could do it, if nothing else to show off remote work tech.

3. GekkePrutser

That picture with the lines through it looks like the one from last year. Unless they kept exactly the same layout for that hall which I doubt. And it's only showing four of the many halls in MWC, so the effect of the cancellations is a bit exaggerated.

Having said that I wouldn't mind if they cancel it now. It's going to be pretty boring and I'm sure more companies will bail out. I expect many of them are simply waiting to see what the GSMA will do (if the event is cancelled they don't get the blame themselves for not showing) or if the virus magically becomes conquered in the next weeks. I assume all the costs are already committed so there's no benefit in cancelling early.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Down

"making a fact-based decision"

Well, that's one way to call "following who checks out and waiting for the biggest names to cover the fact that we didn't have the balls to take that decision before".

Now that the high-profile names have all declared out, the rest can follow meekly, citing "overabundance of caution" and "our people are our most important asset" as an excuse for what they didn't do last week.

5. Graham Cobb

It's gone

Cancelled altogether. And apparently without the "health emergency" they wanted.

1. Timbo

Re: It's gone

Yup - the BBC website has posted this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51474116

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

McAfee pulled out?

I was hoping for a headline: "Anti-Virus Firm Quits due to Virus Concerns".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020