back to article Among waves, blisters and sleep deprivation, rowing duo add Microsoft's Teams to list of transatlantic ordeals

Welcome to another roundup of the Microsoft news you might have missed over the last week, from acronym excitement to Windows 10 updates and Teams-wielding rowers allowing Redmond to stick its oar in. Teams: An oarsome product? Atlantic rowing duo Anna and Cameron McLean have demonstrated that long-distance oar draggers have …

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Edge is available for iOS. A look at the App Store says it has 4.6 stars, thanks to a truly incredible number of 5 star reviews. It seems that a lot of people like it. It also seems, thanks to the one and two star reviews and the shortage of three or four star reviews, that either you love it or you hate it.

I will not be installing it.

2. Tom 7

What do people do with all these photos?

And how often, if at all, do they look at them?

I had a friend many years ago who had enought pirated films to keep him busy into his dotage if he never slept. Fibre has not reduced his obsessive aquisitioneering.

I got a new camera recently and I stuck in a card and it said I had capacity for something like 10,000 photos. That's 2 hrs of just a cursory glance at each one.

That's after I get of ignoring everyone elses from social media.

1. Brad Ackerman
      Linux

Re: What do people do with all these photos?

Take a few thousand photos; sort them out later. A $140 external drive stores a low six-digit number of raws, or keep them in a cloud provider's archive storage tier for $1/TiB-month.

People have collected warez like Pokémon for a long time, possibly since 1969 (before that all software was either open-source or not distributed at all). Whether you're actually going to binge all 275 episodes of Cheers is irrelevant to deciding to click that magnet link.

Tux, because all my torrents are Linux ISOs. (Except the ones that are actually BSD.)

3. James Anderson

How many PCs will the next windows 10 update brick?

The last windows 10 update bricked hundreds of ancient ( 4 years old or less ) devices.

Particularly vulnerable were cheapo netbooks and stick PCs from ASUS, but anything with less that 64gb hard disk was trashed.

Microsoft really should put Win 10 on a diet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How many PCs will the next windows 10 update brick?

this is kindof an issue, when your desktops are being written off over 12 years and now anything over 5 doesnt support 1903 ....

2. WolfFan Silver badge

Re: How many PCs will the next windows 10 update brick?

Ah... since Win 7 MS has said that it needs a minimum of 20GB _free_ to do a proper install. In the real world that means 40GB or you’ll be sorry, or 80GB if you actually want to do some work afterwards. Finding 20GB free on a 64GB volume was difficult. Finding 40GB free was near impossible. 80GB is, of course, out of the question. Anyone running a Windows device with less than 128GB of storage is looking for trouble and has been since Win 7 and possibly Vista.

Frankly, the only modern computing devices I have which have 64GB storage are iPhones, and mine are four and six years old. They’ll be replaced by devices with 128 or more when I get around to replacing them, which won’t be soon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like