back to article Flinging resource-hungry apps at landfill Android? Ubuntu daddy wants to lure you into Anbox Cloud

Ubuntu daddy Canonical is aiming at the likes of Huawei and Google with its take on app streaming with Anbox Cloud. The service is designed to offload workloads from x86 or Arm-based devices to containers in the cloud. All the grungy compute, storage and battery-sucking work is then performed elsewhere and streamed to the …

1. phuzz Silver badge

So basically they want us to go back to mainframes with remote terminals again.

Only this time the terminals are wireless! (and also phones). I guess the wheel keeps on turning.

1. Adair Silver badge

And the users keep on paying.

Even if it's just a salami slice all those slices add up to a very nice yacht visiting the Galapagos Islands, followed by a quite jaunt to Antarctica (before the ice melts). BTW, did we take out those future mining options?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE:So basically they want us to go back to mainframes with remote terminals again.

Isn't that basically what all "Cloud Computing" is ?

I started losing my love of IT when people half my age were practically spaffing in their pants at the "newness" of the Cloud, while I can remember computer centres, VT100s and connect and CPU time.

3. JohnFen Silver badge

> I guess the wheel keeps on turning.

And I, for one, will let it roll on without me.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Seen this someterse before

The service is designed to offload workloads from x86 or Arm-based devices to containers in the cloud. All the grungy compute, storage and battery-sucking work is then performed elsewhere and streamed to the device.

Otherwise known as the original iPhone's HTML apps? With containers.

1. Tom Chiverton 1

Re: Seen this someterse before

Bit this time it's over *5G* so will magically not suck.

3. Roj Blake Silver badge

TBH I'd rather they developed a version decent smartphone version of Linux.

1. teknopaul Silver badge

They tried.

If they have android apps runing in lxc containers on ubuntu touch. They may have a more compeling os for consumers.

They should try to build a devphone imho.

A phone with an rj45 socket would be great for sysadmins and hackers. Save moving a laptop around.

4. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Use cases?

Gaming - Too much bandwidth and latency

Photo editing - Needs a bigger screen, not a bigger CPU

Video editing - Slow import and export

File sharing - Slow import and export

Web browsers - Privacy nightmare

Email clients - Would perform worse

CGI rendering - Only a watchmaker could operate the tiny controls on a phone's screen.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020