back to article Dixons Carphone to London Stock Exchange: Yay, we grew 2% in the festive quarter. Oh, hang on, no we didn't

Just because you want something badly doesn't mean you can will it to happen. This is what Dixons found out today when it was forced to re-issue a trading statement, with the first one saying sales had grown. (Spoiler: they hadn't.) The floundering retailer initially said in its first trading update for the 10 weeks to 4 …

1. Speckled Jim

Well, I'm sure somebody made a few bob off of that.

1. smudge

My City expert reckons that all trades between the initial announcement and the correction will be cancelled, that Dixons Carphone will have to pay for all expenses thus incurred, and that there may also be a fine in it for them...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ouch... (#) The article notes that this happened "hours" later. Isn't that going to be an awful lot of trades?

(#) Well, not really, it's PhoneDix's problem, not mine :-)

2. andy 103
    Facepalm

They've upped their game

I don't normally shop in Carphone or Dixons but this genuinely happened to me a few weeks ago.

I really needed a Lightning to 3.5mm convertor. I knew I could get one online pretty quickly but this was a situation where I needed it there and then. To me that's the main use case for a brick and mortar shop. There's a Carphone/Dixons a few mins from where I live.

I was fully prepared to be given a shafting on the price as that's what I recall of their modus operandi.

So I walked into the Carphone bit and was took the adaptor to the checkout. To my astonishment the guy actually said "if you walk over there" (into Dixons part of the floor space) "you can get that cheaper". So I did exactly that. Granted it was only a few quid cheaper but I thought these guys must be really desperate for a sale when they're doing inter-store competition on an item that costs a few pounds. OTOH a sale's a sale and I guess it all goes to the same group.

1. Mark 110

Re: They've upped their game

I am in central Liverpool.

So I used to use Maplins for that need it right now stuff. Then Carphones/Doxons made a cheaper alternative.

Maplins have gone out of business.

Carphones/Dixons have closed their Liverpool store now.

World of pain next tiime I need something right now. Hour round trip drive out to out of town Dixons in Speke.

3. cantankerous swineherd

"consolidating the group on an ERP platform" - is that light at the end of the tunnel or oncoming schadenfreude?

4. smudge
    Joke

The explanation

They have moved some shopfloor staff into Accounts :)

1. Anonymous Custard
      Trollface

Re: The explanation

And their red Bic biro ran out of ink through overuse, and all they had left was a dusty old black one...

5. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Currys

I know it's the de rigueur standard to bash Currys, but if I'm going to drop £1300 on a new TV or white goods etc, I'd still rather do it with them from a bricks and mortar store, rather than from an online retailer. In fact I did exactly this over the Xmas period and didn't get any bullshit or pressure to buy any overpriced extras or extended warranties from anyone, which I thought was rather refreshing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Currys

I always find John Lewis offer better terms.

2. Gordon861

Re: Currys

Richer Sounds for TVs

6. Jay 2

Much as I like to heap scorn on whateber they're calling themselves this week, every now and again they can be quite useful. Recently I was in need of a small external USB drive and not only were they cheaper than the usual online behemoths, but I could pick it up on the way home (and avoid any courier-type delivery hiccups).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon