back to article Outposts, Local Zone, Wavelength: It's a new era of distributed cloud, says AWS architect

The advent of Outposts, Local Zone and Wavelength - released at AWS' Re:Invent conference in Las Vegas - amounts to a "new platform" that is now distributed rather than centralised, a company veep has told The Reg. Adrian Cockcroft, cloud architecture strategy veep, has been at AWS "about three years", though he is also well …

1. LDS Silver badge
    Devil

So remote big datacenters are not the answer to everything now?

Who would have thought it before, eh?

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth
      Boffin

Re: So remote big datacenters are not the answer to everything now?

There's never anything new in IT, just old ideas dusted off & remarketed. What is this? Cycle number three?

2. Pursebearer

Remember bureaus?

Those readers with long memories may recall when businesses without their own IT staff, would entrust their data to the local computer bureau. Deja vu? Within a few years they realised they would be better of doing the processing in-hose. I can't recall why this was, maybe other readers can.

1. Lyndon Hills 1

Preference for hose

Within a few years they realised they would be better of doing the processing in-hose. I can't recall why this was, maybe other readers can.

More women working in IT?

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Remember bureaus?

doing the processing in-hose

Have they reinvented the Jacquard loom as well? "Amazon proudly announces AWS Weave."

I guess it's a step in the right direction. If the shoe fits, I always say. Of course, interviews like this are always about a firm showing a little leg to attract customers.

I'm on a run, but I should stop now or I'll end up with coal in my stocking this year.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Azure Stack?

Anyone else think this sounds strangely familiar, maybe like Azure Stack? The language sounds familiar too running workloads on the edge.

4. Ragarath

Latency

Seems to me like everyone has suddenly remembered that latency and bandwidth are a thing and that not everything can/should be hosted.

I only have 2 cloud hosted servers for this exact reason and they could be hosted in any old datacenter. Luckily I don't have t o deal with expanding or contracting processing needs though.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Latency

latency and bandwidth are a thing

Two things, technically.

The CAP theorem is also a thing. The fewer failure points in your network, the less time you're likely to lose to partitions.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020