back to article Gravitons, Neoverse... you'd be forgiven for thinking AWS's second-gen 64-core Arm server processor was a sci-fi

In conjunction with its re:Invent show in Las Vegas this week, Amazon Web Services offered a preview of the next iteration of its Arm-compatible EC2 instances, which will use its customized Graviton2 processors. The first generation of Arm-based EC2 servers, dubbed A1, used AWS's Graviton1 processor line, which debuted a year …

1. Phil Endecott

What’s still missing, sadly, is ARM versions of the “t” instances and Lightsail.

The “t” instances are burstable, i.e. you pay for some fraction of a CPU core on average but can periodically use more. I use these for servers that typically tick over with maybe 5% load average, but sometimes need more - most often when they do something like a database backup dump or when I log on to install something.

Lightsail is based on the t instances, but they’re bundled up with a generous a cheap monthly bandwidth allowance. Thus makes AWS much more competitive for bandwidth-intensive applications.

So sadly, much as I’d love to use ARM instances (and I’ve tried them out experimentally), I’m not currently able to do so.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

All Amazon CPU include a integrated microphone as standard

who do you trust?

1. Bronek Kozicki
        Boffin

Re: All Amazon CPU include a integrated microphone as standard

.... hm, that's a neat feature - microphone in a datacentre would register so much noise, it might be actually useful as an entropy source for RNG

1. MJB7
          Boffin

It depends on your attack model. An attacker with access to the datacentre could control the input (probably by playing a loud singe frequency tone into the microphone).

† It always does.

1. vulture65537

always

https://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~tromer/papers/acoustic-20131218.pdf

1. Cynic_999

"

https://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~tromer/papers/acoustic-20131218.pdf

"

Interesting but inaccurate. That paper states:

"... get the required leakage information from the ground wires at the remote end of VGA, USB or Ethernet cables."

Ethernet cables do not *have* any ground wires (unless we go back to the days of coax Ethernet).

I also question whether what is claimed could be carried out in anything other than a strictly controlled experiment that would never occur in real life.

1. Tomato42

shielded ones do

2. ortunk

This is so wrong:

*Ethernet cables do not *have* any ground wires (unless we go back to the days of coax Ethernet).*

UTP doesn't but FTP, STP, SSTP have grounded cables and connectors.

2. Andy The Hat Silver badge
    Alien

And now we wait

Graviton and Neoverse ... do we wait expectantly until Underverse comes?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And now we wait

There's another Riddick coming btw. Last one was confusingly boringish, but I've read this one should be more about him than what he does to help others.

3. MJI Silver badge

Sounds a bit Destiny to me

I saw Graviton and thought Lance

A black hole gun

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like