back to article Anthos: Google's bid for Kubernetes differentiation ... and market share

Kubernetes (K8s) is everywhere, so how do cloud vendors differentiate their offerings? Google's answer is Anthos, but this is a brand as much as a product. The Reg sat down with Google's Jennifer Lin, VP of Product Management, at the recent Cloud Next event in London, to unscramble its various permutations. The background to …

1. Tim99 Silver badge
    Big Brother

So

Not at all like their stewardship of Chrome then?

2. RyokuMas Silver badge
    Stop

The more things change...

""It's based on open source code, but there are things like workload identity, a feature that we announced..."

Embrace, extend...

1. yoganmahew

Re: The more things change...

... shutdown support for the free version.

1. ratfox Silver badge
        Trollface

When it's Google, you're happy if the paying version is not shut down as well

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Given that they developed Kubernetes in the first place it's difficult to argue that this is such an example. It's mord like the "freemium" model and, as the move to hosted infrastructure is being driven by the desire to outsource maintenance, you can see why CIOs and CFOs like what they see: they don't want to be able to fix it if it's broken.

3. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Mushroom

Arcades Ambo

A sole choice between Amazon, Microsoft and Google would make me renounce any enterprise.

1. kat_bg

Re: Arcades Ambo

You forgot Oracle and IBM, to have the complete nightmare

4. katrinab Silver badge
    Flame

One thing I'm absolutely sure of

I don't want Google stuff in a production environment. They will kill it off in a couple of years time.

5. AndrésC

I want to pay...

I guess that firms need to pay for a product otherwise it is worthless for them. OpenSource sure, but I want to pay a license for it to someone, because that is what I have been doing for so long, and OperSource Solutions works so I have to pay.

Under this scenario, you need to create a "product" to be sold, since it is OpenSource you need to disguise it, errr new features on you product, not disguising sorry. And provide something like an update support agreement just to say you need to upgrade, so I can renegotiate the contract... And it is business as usual for most firms.

And yes, the risk is adopt, embrace and extend...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019