back to article The lure of Brexit Britain proves too great for DevOps pipeline wrangler CircleCI

Devops pipeline outfit CircleCI has ignored Britain's looming withdrawl from the EU to set up a European beachhead in London, headed up by a freshly poached Facebook exec. The move comes after a busy summer for CircleCI that saw the San Francisco-based dev tools slinger slurp $56m in Series D funding and finally add Windows …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"our position is that going best of breed makes a big, big difference"

Well then, all you have left to do is be best of breed.

Simple, ain't it ?

2. macjules Silver badge

freshly poached Facebook exec

I do hope you actually mean, "thrown into a pot of boiling water and left for 5 minutes until poached".

3. Steve Button

Alternatively...

It could be nothing to do with Brexit. Why does everyone blame Brexit when a company leaves the UK, and then act all surprised when a company decides to set up shop in London. We've got a lot to offer, and we'll still have a lot to offer after Brexit.

I just don't think it's that "big of a deal" as the Americans would say.

The downvote button is

_____|

_____|

_____|

____V

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Alternatively...

So, a foreign company chooses now of all times to set up shop in the UK, and you don't expect a journalist to ask them about Brexit?

1. IGotOut

I agree. Brexit most won't make a huge difference to them. It's not as if they are exporting physical goods and the chances are all sales will go through some back channel and they will only be licensing IP at 110% of turnover.

1. Robert Grant

If there's no services agreement set up then it'll be tariff-tastic, if it's allowed at all.

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge

It's about sales

Most of the work itself will be running on computers who knows where so this all about sales. You want your sales reps to be as close to the customer as possible and, normally, the offices are where the management is and not where it's cheaper (else no one would set up shop in SF anymore) So, this means most of their European customers are in or around London as is Mr Mills. There will, presumably, already be a safe EU subsidiary for billing, etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's about sales

>There will, presumably, already be a safe EU subsidiary for billing, etc.

... in Dublin?

1. DavCrav Silver badge

"in Dublin?"

Depending on what happens with Brexit, it hopefully will no longer possible to route all UK sales through Ireland and so evade/avoid tax.

Indeed, if this is the case, we might be in the weird position of being in a recession but tax take going up.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I suspect it probably will still be possible to do this, which is why stalwart national champions like Wee Slugg have setup offices in Dublin. The UK will have virtually no option to maintain such agreements, it's just the other way round that's not going to be possible unless passporting can be preserved. I suspect that, whatever the outcome of the election, fans of "taking back control" are likely to be disappointed when it comes to the transitional and future arrangements.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019