back to article Rapid-fire Windows 10 builds, Azure on Arm not for the eyes of mortals, and Teams at 10,000ft

As Microsoft luxuriated in the Ignite afterglow, the hardworking Reg gnomes deep within the Windows mines managed to unearth a nugget or two of news you may have missed. Windows 10 switches to double time The Windows 10 November 2019 Update may have hit, but the Insider gang still found time to push two releases of next year's …

1. LDS Silver badge

Even SSD disk utilities disabled the indexer...

As writing to an SSD disk over and over was not a good feature. I wonder what changes they made. Exclusind some folders it's not enough, it should be an opt-in features and you decide which folders should be indexed and which no, which files types and which not.

1. Wade Burchette Silver badge

Re: Even SSD disk utilities disabled the indexer...

This is the new Microsoft, as such they assume they know better than you. They do not understand the concept of opt-in because in their minds they already know what is best. You can only opt-out by undocumented registry hacks or the group policy and you have to repeat the opt-out hack after every major update.

2. Hans 1 Silver badge
    Joke

Microsoft showed off a version of Windows Server built for Arm (again, for internal use only [as the platform has no Legs]).

#TFTFY

3. SVV Silver badge

My laptop's just crashed......

through the roof of someone's house...... nicely thought through stunt that one. Will be very useful in the future when I want to launch myself into space strapped to an office chair with weather balloons attached, and I need to use Microsoft Teams during the journey, but for now it seems that Pi's fly higher.

4. J. Cook Silver badge
    Joke

"Dr Leendert van Doorn, distinguished engineer for Microsoft Azure"

I wacky-parsed that as "van Doom"; Clearly I require more coffee.

1. Hans 1 Silver badge

I thought it was van Doom, thanks for the heads up!

5. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Flame

Forced Search

Microsoft, it appears, could not work out why people kept turning off the search indexer.

We're pretty sure Register readers could have given the Windows giant a clue or two.

As with my adored KDE, many years ago before MS, I relentlessly eliminated Akonadi server, Strigi, Nepomuk, Baloo, Tracker [ Gnome, but like most gnomes it creeps in the back door ] and every hint of cpu-munching semantic search daemons, I am at a loss to understand why devs think certain functions must be compulsory --- even if one has no use for them.

I honestly respect their craft, but the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

6. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Big Brother

Excitement when Installing Windows 10?

Oh... Wait... you must mean the anticipation of will it bork or not after the upgrade (ok, this happens less frequently but it does happen)

(sort of reminds me of when waiting for an RSX-11M Sysgen build to boot)

and

What they have broken this time.

As for the Indexer... Yet another example of 'do it our way or not at all!'.

I'll pass thanks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019