back to article Hate hub hacked, Cisco bugs squished, Bluekeep attacks begin, and much, much more

Time for a look at some of the other security stories making the rounds in the past week. DNAye-aye-aye Yet another reason not to use commercial DNA testing services: Genome sequencing biz Veritas Genetics says that an unauthorized user had been able to get access to a customer portal. The unknown attacker wasn't able to …

1. Tired and grumpy

Hate hub hacked

Pleased to see that the online SQL version of the Iron March forum has been taken down. Not pleased to see that you linked to it. They may be nazi scum, but they're also still data subjects, and we don't condone breaches, do we? If we're to be happy to share their personal data, we would have to be happy when they share ours.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hate hub hacked

Is it a breach? Or is it a form of whistleblowing?

1. NonSSL-Login

That always depends what side of an argument you are on. A terrorist to one is freedom fighter to another.

It can be better to gain root, keep quiet and observe in case some of the fanatics on these sites decide to plan something. Showing your cards and going public with the hack just makes them more secure and your intel on them goes dark.

1. squigbobble

The forum was shut down in 2017 anyway, for reasons that I don't know and that don't seem to be widely known.

2. Mark 85 Silver badge

Is it a breach? Or is it a form of whistleblowing?

Doesn't matter really. Once they the person(s) who did, jail time will be in their future. The US protects free speech even if it's hate speech but not hackers unless they have government credentials.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They really were neo-nazis, that forum birthed Atomwaffen Division. Also, several of the users appeared to be serving members of the military, which raises some security concerns.

While I agree that linking to the dox in this article was wrong, it's cos that sort of thing is very far outside El Reg's sphere and is best left to outlets like IGD or Unicorn Riot.

If you think that extremists will play by your rules just cos you are, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. If you think it'll stop them doxxing and harassing others, I'm doing a BOGOF offer on bridges.

There will be people in less extreme groups and maybe on the very periphery of more extreme ones who could be swayed by the right voices, however, moralising with anybody who's fully indoctrinated will achieve nothing. Extremists excuse themselves from the moral framework of wider society with the justification that they are acting for a higher purpose or, more concisely, 'the ends justifies the means'.

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

You're missing the point. It's not about them, it is about us. There is a point where you prove that you are better by BEING better. Doxing Nazis might sound like good, clean fun to you, but as a Republican, I've been tagged as a Nazi more-or-less continuously by significant elements of the Democratic party for 16 years. You really want to start defending where to draw that line?

2. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Alert

I Now Pronounce This Hunt Open

Never heard of the Iron March Forum, but every good liberal must approve of censoring opposing ideas and crushing dissidents under the iron heel of Liberalism.

I assume the contents are being distributed for the purposes of Doxxing and persecution of bad-thinkers; much as recently that nice Mr. Castro [ Dem pressie candidate --- USA ] doxxed Trump supporters by finding lists of donors to Trump, and publishing them and their addresses online.

1. squigbobble

Re: I Now Pronounce This Hunt Open

TIL that a small internet forum having a bodycount means that it's merely a proponent of ideas that are in opposition to Liberalism, for whichever definition of 'liberalism' that is.

I bet you'd like to know how Castro found that list of donors, it's quite tricky. First you have to go to the Federal Election Commission's website and fill in a search form that's almost as big as the one for rscomponents.com, then it spews out a list of names for you to peruse- https://www.fec.gov/introduction-campaign-finance/how-to-research-public-records/individual-contributions/

Campaign donations over $200 are a matter of public record, no l33t h4x or brown envelopes required. That a candidate for office would do this is dodgy and should discount them from it but this is hardly the first time this information has been abused- https://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/19/us/19prop8.html There's probably been a few other similar events too.

I expect that something like this'll happen again in the future, once everybody's forgotten about this time.

3. squigbobble
    IT Angle

Military perspective on the Iron March leak

Since there were quite a few Iron March users who claimed to be in the military or were interested in joining it, I thought people might be interested in how this is viewed by military-orientated journalists- https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-army/2019/11/07/desire-to-join-military-large-focus-of-leaked-chats-in-infamous-neo-nazi-forum/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019