back to article What's that, Skippy? A sad-faced Microsoft engineer has arrived with an axe? Skippy?

Despite it being Ignite week for much of Microsoft, there was still plenty going on in the house that Bill built. The axeman cometh for Windows Insiders' Skip Ahead Windows Insiders expecting a quiet week keeping the Ignite booth staffed were to be disappointed as build 19018 of next year's Windows 10 (20H1) was pushed to …

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

Every time I read one of these, I kind of imagine management at Microsoft running round like the Three Stooges. I know it's not a perfect analogy, because of course I'm comparing a team of seasoned professionals with years of experience who know exactly what they were doing, how, and why, with a long history of satisfied customers to Microsoft management but hey...

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      Pint

"...long history of satisfied customers..."

Bwah-hah-ha-ha-ha!

Have a pint for the humorous start to my Monday!

2. a pressbutton Silver badge

I think I am getting old

I spend nearly 10h a week on 'Teams'

In every meeting there will be someone ...

'on mute' = doing something else and not listening, eating or shuffling paper or (more rarely) going to the toilet, or cracking up due to latency issues

and at the end, the project manager will be none the wiser.

It is not always v. green and takes more time due to travel, but I far prefer it when I can see people rolling their eyes and sniggering.

Not a criticism of 'teams', just that it is better called Solipsism

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Zog_but_not_the_first Silver badge
    IT Angle

Skippy-speak

As an aside it should be noted that skippy-speak employs the most efficient compression algorithm known.

Four kangaroo voicebox clicks unpacks to "you say the doc's truck has crashed into the ravine and he's hurt real bad with a broken arm and leg. Petrol's pouring out of the truck and a couple of snakes are closing in. The sun is going down, etc."

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Skippy-speak

Lassie can say all that with a look

2. FozzyBear Silver badge
      Windows

if only we could train mangement to communicate that efficiently.

1. Fungus Bob Silver badge
        Facepalm

if only we could train management...

1. cosymart
          Meh

There's no need to train management as according to management, they are perfectly happy with the skills they had 10 years ago doing a different job. Plus those expensive junkets have used up the budget.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

There is always the Jedi Mind Trick.

4. katrinab Silver badge
    Flame

Quick Web Searches

This "feature" belongs on the bing.com home page, not on the Edge browser, and definitely not in an operating system.

5. alegr

> Fiinally, 4,622 issues were closed by the VS Code team last month during a frenzied bit of housekeeping.

Ha.Here's how they close such record count of bugs:

Visual Studio Feedback System changed the status of the following problem:

"A Git repository can't be opened if it has a remote with no fetch URL"

to Closed - Lower Priority and added a comment.

Thank you for the feedback, but our team was unable to prioritize it at this time as they are working on problems with broader customer impact. You can see details at: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/report-a-problem?view=vs-2017#faq. Please comment below if you have additional data or details that will help us appropriately reprioritize this issue. It is possible that this problem has been addressed in our latest version which can be downloaded from: https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/ . Thanks for contributing to Developer Community.

1. iron Silver badge

I think its automated issue closing time of year at MS, I've noticed a number of Visual Studio and documentation issues being closed without anything being done to fix serious bugs / out of date docs. A comment is usually enough to get them re-opened.

2. JasonT
      Gimp

Visual Studio != Visual Studio Code

Visual Studio Code is a very different beast than Visual Studio. The release cadence and overall responsiveness for VS Code issues (https://github.com/microsoft/vscode/issues) is much better than Visual Studio. This is one of the few applications that I look forward to the close-to-monthly releases. If you're not looking at VSCode because "it's M1cr0$haft" you're doing yourself a disservice.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Visual Studio != Visual Studio Code

I’m not looking at vscode because it is a horrible piece of software. Nothing to do with it being from MS. Bloated Electron mess that behaves how it wants instead of like the rest of the actual OS it is running on. I occasionally have a peek at it, never gets any better.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Visual Studio != Visual Studio Code

I'm not looking at it because I hate IDEs. I've been using IDEs on everything from PCs to mainframes since the 1980s, and I've yet to see one that comes close to the power of a good set of dedicated tools running under a competent shell.

JFTR, I did take a look at VS Code. It's better than Original Formula Visual Studio, but that's a mighty low bar. I didn't care for it.

6. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Linux

Edge on LINUX? *EW*

it seems to me that MS has no clue as to why people don't want to use their browser on Windows, let alone the reaction that will happen when they try to pawn it off for Linux users.

"Don't know what distros to support"

I have an idea: release the SOURCE, and if we want it, we'll build it and package it on OUR end. that would include the BSDs as well.

But, I expect that will NEVER happen. And that's the whole point.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Edge on LINUX? *EW*

Oh, I'm entirely in favor of porting Edge to Linux. It means at least some MS developers on the Windows side of the house aren't engaged in actively making Windows even more annoying, which seems to be that division's current mission statement.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hooray!

> although customisers will be pleased to find theme-able window borders.

Now can we have them for Windows 10, please?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

honeing it down for subscription mode

we Apple has started already, I reckon because of the complaining about what Microsoft was was intending to do so MrBill sent Apple in first.

time will tell.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019