back to article Google's joins Gang of Four to guard Play Store apps from malware, and maybe not fail so much

Google, after more than a decade of dealing with Android malware, has formed an alliance with three security companies to help it defend its mobile platform. The Chocolate Factory on Wednesday announced the App Defense Alliance, by which partners ESET, Lookout, and Zimperium will be able to scan Android apps submitted to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

scrutiny of individual developers for trustworthiness

The Register asked whether the App Defense Alliance will increase the scrutiny of individual developers for trustworthiness.

Google's spokesperson said, "We are not discussing the scope and format of signals shared within the Alliance at this time."

Naughty Dev: "The advertisers tricked us about the true intent of the SDK's we injected into our sh*tty app for more money"

Google: "100 million downloads? apology accepted. Welcome back to the Play store!"

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Mushroom

G-hole

Google's choice to produce cheaply scalable systems by never using human interaction has made Google a crim's best friend. Last time I used Usenet, 99% or more of it was Chinese crime gangs using Google Groups. At least 95% of the spams I receive use GMail and Google app services. It's no surprise that Google Play Store is also garbage. All criminals need to do is figure out a weakness in "the machine" and exploit all the cheap scalability that Google provides. People report the abuse but Google doesn't hear it. It's easy to find apps where half the reviews are obviously fake and the other half say it's malware, but it's still a top search result.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
  3. sbt Silver badge
    Devil

It would be easy to take a leaf out of VW's book and detect test conditions ...

... in this case, it is the period immediately after install. All badware authors need to do is delay the click-jacking, etc until 4-6 weeks after app install. Then they still get the benefits until the reports roll in and Google eventually responds.

4. JassMan Silver badge
    Headmaster

Apostrophes are a satiricist's best friend

"Google's joins Gang of Four to guard Play Store apps from malware, and maybe not fail so much"

The missing words are "gonad grabber" and I claim my £5

Google's "gonad grabber" joins Gang of Four to guard Play Store apps from malware, and maybe not fail so much

OK, I know I should use the tips and corrections link but this way, some other grammar nazisusers get a chance to offer alternatives.

1. iron Silver badge

Re: Apostrophes are a satiricist's best friend

I'll bite... :)

Google's "Chastity Belt" joins Gang of Four to guard Play Store apps from malware, and maybe not fail so much

1. David Lewis 2

Re: Apostrophes are a satiricist's best friend

Google's "Leaky Cauldron"?

5. Ugotta B. Kiddingme Silver badge

a good news/bad news sort of thing

On one hand, extra sets of eyes looking for PHAs is (in theory, at least) a good thing. On the other hand, if one gets through, Google can shrug off any responsibility and claim, "Those guys over there were supposed to catch that and didn't. Not our fault."

6. GnuTzu Silver badge

Gang of Four?

Silly me. I thought the article was going to be about Design Patterns (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_Patterns).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Gang of Four?

I was expecting an announcement about Googles involvement in Chinese politics !

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019