back to article Revealed: The new icon you'll click to download an alternative browser, and more from Microsoft

As Microsoft's Ignite shindig loomed, the gnomes of Redmond took a break from crafting PowerPoints to emit Windows builds and a new icon for Edge. A not-so-fond farewell to IE's e Finally, the Edge team led the Windows faithful on a merry dance, teasing fanboys and fangirls to hop through hoops and solve puzzles in order to …

1. Blockchain commentard Silver badge

Can I be the first to say the new logo looks like they curled one out. Now wipe and flush it away.

1. Dwarf Silver badge

@blockchain

I came here to make the same observation, so have an upvote

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

and JUST how much time and money and effort was wasted pinched out excreted used up in that 'new icon' design?

1. GrumpenKraut Silver badge
        Happy

money: half a million dollar

time: 45 minutes

effort: intern said "not that much"

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

To be fair, I can't say I've ever been particularly impressed by an icon. It's not one of our culture's great art forms.

2. RGE_Master

Chrome and Firefox I guess.

New logo looks like a mishmash of Chrome and Firefox.

1. Adrian 4 Silver badge

Re: Chrome and Firefox I guess.

It's just a firefox tail - no head - in blue.

I guess microsoft feel that firefox represents the web these days.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Meh

I wish they'd FEEL less and THINK more... then maybe they'd put ACTUAL EFFORT into making the UI look like something MOST people want - not all 2D FLATTY FLATSO McFLATFACE FLUGLY!!!

1. RyokuMas Silver badge
          FAIL

"... making the UI look like something MOST people want..."

I would have expected that when making a claim about "what most people want", a poster would think to include links to the research/survey that illustrates said claim.

Whereas excessive use of emphasis within text (in this case, 90's AOL-style capitalization) is a definite indication of strong emotion ie: what the poster feels.

A couple more examples that might be handy here...

Reasonable, rational debate with respect for the opposing viewpoint is thinking.

Name-calling - regardless of whether the target is a person, a group or a technology is feeling.

Now go and think about this for a while...

2. LDS Silver badge

Yes, they are trying to deceive people, it's now built on Chrome codebase but with added MS slurping, yet you should trust 'em as if it was Firefox....

3. john.jones.name
    Mushroom

VNC

phone screen ?

has microsoft discovered VNC for android does not need bluetooth ?

truly scary

4. Paul Herber Silver badge

I'd like to try this on my laptop but after the last update that has been imposed on me it is still looking very brick-like.

Maybe I should play the Fairport Convention album - Unhalfbricking.

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

FFS - it worked. I now have a functioning laptop again.

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Happy

Well to figure it out you’ll have to do a windows update Autopsy. And as for installing them all, who knows where the time goes? Just don’t hit the laptop in frustration because damaging it would be expensive - a million dollar bash, you might say.

(As for me, I’m posting this comment at nearly midnight... can’t sleep, hence rising for the moon...)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's great that they've changed the icon for the Firefox downloader, but when are they going to fix any of the real actual problems in their software?

Like the debug statement at line 105 of windows\dwm\dwmapi\attribute.cpp that fills my logs with thousands of messages about an invalid handle and makes it hard to find my own debug messages.

Or the PCMCIA support which has been broken for the last 6 months, so I can't use the dongle I need for one of my applications.

And I'm sure there are many more.

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

My preferred firefox downloader is

Invoke-WebRequest "https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-latest&os=win64&lang=en-GB" -outfile firefox.exe

Also, PCMCIA is pretty old. I would be surprised if there is anyone else in my office who knows what it stands for (People Can't Memorise Computer Industry Acronyms), and they definitely aren't old enough to have seen one in the wild.

1. TechnicalBen Silver badge

What?

PCMCIA is still used in many new laptop models. Just because it's not used in the consumer space, don't mean it's not used at all. :P

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

no more ftp?

I would normally use

ftp ftp.mozilla.org

and find the file. But it looks like they took the site down sometime in the last 5 years.

6. MJI Silver badge
    Flame

Browsers

My newest PC is infected with 10, better than 8 at least!!!!

(Prefer 7 and XP).

The amount of whinging it did while I was installing Firefox, you would think I was trying to slaughter baby seals or something.

Even naggier than a certain toaster.

Then I get asked by someone else.

"Where is Chrome?"

"FFS I use FF!"

7. Carpet Deal 'em Bronze badge
    Angel

Microsoft's being quite ingenious with that icon: when you make it look like the gooey goodness of a Spring Meadow Tide Pod, what millennial can help but click?

8. Aussie Doc
    Headmaster

Yeah, sure.

Can't say the new logo is particularly 'iconic', can we.

I can only imagine the situation re designing it as similar to that M.A.S.H. episode where the voice over says something like "After X weeks, Y days and Z hours at the negotiation table, all parties have agreed. The flags will go in the centre of the table."

9. STOP_FORTH
    Pirate

Prior art

Hokusai wants his Great Wave back. Bloody Occidentals, coming over here and stealing our IP without attribution.

Arrrr!

10. kmedcalf

PowerToy?

How about a PowerToy to make the Window Borders visible and adjustable again?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019