back to article Profits dip at BT while troubled biz steams ahead with restructuring

Higher spectrum fees and content costs were blamed by BT for a wobbly bottom line at the half-way stage of its financial year. Profits before tax for the six months ended 29 September were broadly flat at £1.33bn, compared with the same period last year. Earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation, meanwhile, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

every little helps

After 25 years I finally ditched BT's phone service in the last quarter. Good to know my defection helped a little bit.

If only they invested properly in new technologies and not squandered it on footballers......

1. NeilPost

Re: every little helps

Openreach - for phone/broadband network and BT Consumer - for TV - have long been ran as separate companies.

There is no correlation between performance of phone/broadband network and coughing up money for Sport’s Fight’s.

I do predict that BT will eventually give up and have to joint venture off BT Sport to either ESPN (Disney) or the increasingly global Fox Sports.... in wake of the loss of Sky to Comcast.

1. EnviableOne

Re: every little helps

Its unlikley they neeed the brand for marketing there OTT services

with EETV and PlusNetTV, it rounds out the packages too at a limited cost and makes them look like 4-Stream providers (Phone, Mobile Broadband, TV)

2. Swordfish1

I've got a 5G phone, but I'll doubt I'll see a 5G service in the sticks of the Fens, for several years.

Some parts around here are lucky to get 3G.

I use giffgaff, which is run over the 02 network, but I cant say, that them or even the others will provide the 5G network that is promised, in my rural area for several years to come.

Again as is always the case in rip off UK, companies, thinking more about their corporate bonuses, and share holder dividends than the subscribers.

Of course, its alright if you live in London, or any other major city, in the UK, they of course will always be prioritised.

3. macjules
    Unhappy

Yes, but ..

significantly accelerating its pace of FTTP build and is now passing a home or business every 26 seconds.

Ok , so an OpenRetch van passes a customers house every 28 seconds and fails to stop. This is promptly followed up by someone in India who telephones your home number for a second and thus fails to get in contact with you. They then promptly "reschedule" your OpenRetch connection visit to another 3 months in the future.

I am sorry about the 100,000 staff, but BT deserves to die the death.

1. paulf
      Boffin

Re: Yes, but ..

Even if you look at, what I assume, they meant: they connect a subscriber line to FTTP every 26 seconds, I'm still not convinced it's that impressive.

Once every 26 seconds -> 1.2million per year.

There are 27.6 million households in the UK as of 2018.

On the rather flimsy assumption that each household is equally difficult to connect to fibre, and discounting business premises:

27.6 / 1.2 = 23 years to do everyone at the current rate. That's not accurate since some premises already have connection to Openretch FTTP or Vermin Media but it gives a good indication that "Every 26 seconds" is a much better soundbite than "It'll take us at least another 15 years to get everyone connected to fibre"

4. cb7

How many BT customers are also on the receiving end of "There's a problem with your computer" type scam calls from Indian sounding "Ruperts"?

BT won't admit it of course, but me thinks, as a minimum, customer names and telephone numbers have been stolen from their customer database by an ex BT Indian call agent or two and used to set up the fake Microsoft Tech Support scams we're all so familiar with.

5. sean.fr

BT pensions

BT has a very large pension fund hole. More than profits can fill.

More than it possibly cover without tax payers money.

No UK government will want to do anything that will cause the bubble to pop and put the tax payer on the hook.

So you will get your fibre when you get your fibre.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like