back to article 'Don’t be so concerned with your image'... US prosecutor lets rip on Uber for hack cover-up as pair plead guilty

Two men have confessed they siphoned confidential information from databases hosted in the Amazon cloud, and then demanded payment to delete their copies of the data. Brandon Charles Glover, 26, of Winter Springs, Florida, America, and Vasile Mereacre, 23, of Toronto, Canada, each pleaded guilty to one charge of conspiracy to …

1. Blockchain commentard

"the most sophisticated cyber actors in the world" - really? They needed someone to access the databases. Not really a sophisticated job to do.

1. ma1010

Agree that these guys don't amount to much. But I don't think they're referring to these twits. The FBI has to try to deal with all sorts of truly sophisticated hackers, including state-sponsored ones.

2. steven_t

I think he was talking about Uber.

2. sbt
    Devil

Glad it was Uber and not the DoD. $100k to $148m is quite the escalation.

When JEDI goes live, I wonder how much Microsoft would be willing to stump up to keep a breach quiet that might jeopardise their continued engagement with JEDI from the certain $1m to the hopeful $10 billion?

3. Claverhouse Silver badge

Glover and Mereacre.

Sounds like a firm of eminent lawyers.

1. J. Cook Silver badge
      Joke

At least it's not the firm of Dewey, Cheatam, & Howe.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Or the erstwhile legal powerhouse that is Shotgun, Bastard and Dribble.

4. Blofeld's Cat
    WTF?

NDA ...

I'm having some difficulty getting my mind round the idea that Uber got the extortionists to sign an NDA.

Surely the NDA created documentary proof that Uber had tried to hush everything up, and if the crooks started talking, what were Uber going to do about it anyway?

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: NDA ...

If the crooks started talking Uber could sue to get their money back and the crooks would have a hard time convincing their next victim that paying money would buy more than a minute of silence.

The hard parts to understand are why the crooks signed their own names to an NDA and why Uber believed that public knowledge of their lack of security could make their reputation any worse. What might make a little sense is a contract not to distribute so Uber would not face any competition when selling personal data to everyone and his dinosaur.

1. Blackjack Silver badge

Meanwhile the real hacker probably just sold his copy of the database in the dark web.

2. Robert Helpmann??
        Pirate

The hard parts to understand are why the crooks signed their own names to an NDA and why Uber believed that public knowledge of their lack of security could make their reputation any worse.

It's a case of crooks working with crooks. Uber is all about disruption which means the rules don't apply to them, including the one about honor among thieves.

5. DontFeedTheTrolls
    Big Brother

Bug Bounty

How long before the DoJ, FBI, or equivalent in other Countries start offering "breach bounty" for details of hacks that companies have hushed up?

Who watches the Watchmen?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bug Bounty

Who wrangles the rustlers?

6. Mark 85

I find it puzzling that the CSO now has new company to work for. Obviously they know his ethics which says a lot about their ethics.

1. Androgynous Cow Herd

that was my big takeaway too

I read this and went..."Wait, now he's at CLOUDFLARE!!??!!!!"

Whisky Tango Foxtrot

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like