back to article 'Big three' 5G kit maker Nokia downgrades profits as returns from next-gen networks fail to show up

Nokia – one of the so-called "Big Three" 5G kitmakers – has downgraded profit forecasts for the year and cancelled dividends, saying investments in next-generation services have not yet yielded expected returns. The company trimmed its 2019 profit outlook to earnings per share of €0.18-0.24 from a previous forecast of €0.25-0. …

1. Venerable and Fragrant Wind of Change
    WTF?

Trump Dividend?

Could it possibly be that 5G as a whole isn't quite flourishing as might've been expected?

If the world at large is held back for Trumpistan to catch up, that looks like a big win for him.

1. JohnFen

Re: Trump Dividend?

"Could it possibly be that 5G as a whole isn't quite flourishing as might've been expected?"

That would be awesome, but I can't quite bring myself to be that optimistic.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Trump Dividend?

Catch up? Earlier today I read claims that the US is winning the race to 5G - 18 cities with 5G in 2018, 42 cities live by the end of this year.

Of course none of those cities has 5G everywhere - pretty sure no one anywhere in the world has blanketed a city of any size with 5G.

5G was overhyped, and the reality is a damp squib. It'll be useful for high speed fixed wireless, but mostly a non factor for mobile despite all the hype claiming it will be a "must have" feature for cell phones that will drive a massive upgrade cycle.

2. wyatt
    Joke

"Damm, Huawei hasn't been banned by everyone so we won't sell so much kit."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like