back to article Mysterious botched code upgrade breaks voicemail for unlucky AT&T punters for weeks

Some AT&T customers are locked out of their voicemails due to a buggy software upgrade. Subscribers started complaining about the weeks-long blunder in the US telco giant's online support forums earlier this month. Messages such as “Service Not Available” or “Voice Mail unavailable” popped up on folks' cellphones whenever they …

1. elvisimprsntr

Now that ATT and iOS perform speech to text (STT), although not very well, I can read my voice messages. Never seen an interruption on my end.

1. DougS Silver badge

It still has to download the audio from AT&T for that to happen. If you were affected, you wouldn't have the transcription since your phone wouldn't have the audio.

2. john.jones.name
    Mushroom

emergency services / first responders ?

do any emergency services have AT&T voicemail ? (they do) I wonder if they tested them (not sure)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As opposed to Verizon...

who decided I was happy with "Visual Voice Mail" (which I don't use, as it consumes data with every voicemail) and turned off the standard mobile voicemail notification for my phone number without telling me. I finally found out a year and a half later, when someone told me they left me a message. Took a long chat with an upper-tier support guy to get it fixed.

4. fidodogbreath Silver badge

Terrible company

AT&T sucks in every conceivable way, in all lines of business. Crap customer service? Check. Bullshit fees? Check. Frequent price increases? Check. The list could go on.

Did not enjoy. Will not be back.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Even AT&T admit their service is crap

https://patentlyo.com/patent/2019/08/product-therefore-infringe.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019