back to article iTerm2 issues emergency update after MOSS finds a fatal flaw in its terminal code

The author of popular macOS open source terminal emulator iTerm2 has rushed out a new version (v3.3.6) because prior iterations have a security flaw that could allow an attacker to execute commands on a computer using the application. The vulnerability (CVE-2019-9535) was identified through the Mozilla Open Source Support …

1. Alister

or call 0118 999 88199 9119 725... 3

You forgot the gap after 725

2. Dave K

Classic

Heh, why do I get the feeling that the majority of comments will be focussing on the IT Crowd reference instead of the vulnerability?

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Classic

Let's talk about Cradle of Filth! They're actually one of the best contemporary dark-wave bands in the world. Not a literal cradle of filth though - that would be horrible.

Icon chosen because there isn't a desk-rabbit one.

2. Korev Silver badge
      Childcatcher

I came here to drink milk and kick ass... and I've just finished my milk.

3. NozeDive

..fathAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrr...

3. karlkarl Silver badge

I really like tmux but I feel like there are potentially quite a few problems with it underneath.

OpenBSD has imported tmux into base and I always see security fixes being applied. I am slightly cautious about running the upstream version when on Linux or Cygwin (even though I do anyway ;).

Is there something implicitly insecure about its design? Perhaps it is the wrangling of ancient tty behaviour that is difficult.

4. mr-slappy
    Thumb Up

It looks like kudos to everyone involved - Mozilla and Radically Open Security for finding it, CERT for publicising it, iTerm for quickly fixing it and El Reg for letting us commentards know about the update.

5. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Vague Idea

My vague thoughts on the exploit from the linked Github diff in the article:

Terminal applications often update the window title bar with the name of the command being executed. iTerm appears to have been keeping track of its terminal sessions by their name. I'm guessing there was some exploit by abusing this feature.

What's one of the rules of programming? Never trust user supplied input.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whats the advantage of using this emulator?

MacOS already comes with Terminal (though admittedly its far from perfect especially given that each terminal window is another thread, not another process so if one dies they all die - very poor design for a unix system) and any serious unix power user would have installed XQuartz anyway and got xterm etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like