back to article ESA bigwigs: Euro Moon efforts are going the way they 'should' – which is to say not by 2024

The European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC) in Noordwijk, Netherlands, opened its doors to the public last weekend, and The Register braved the rain to grill top brass on spaceships, partnerships and the "B" word. The annual event, which this year saw 9,159 visitors crawl over the European Space Agency's (ESA) …

1. LeahroyNake Silver badge

Fingers crossed

'But he didn't think it would take long for the UK to come to some sort of agreement with Europe, for space matters if nothing else.'

For some reason I instantly had an image of William Adama shouting 'so say we all!' to rally the troops and up moral a little bit.

In reality I just thank the gods that scientists are awesome and tend to last somewhat longer than most politicians.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Europeans reckoned the agency cost €245 per citizen year. The actual figure is more like €10.

Ok, better multiply the budget by a factor of 24.5 then! We wouldn't want to disappoint all those EU-taxpayers and not give them what they think they are paying for .... :-)

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Europeans reckoned the agency cost €245 per citizen year. The actual figure is more like €10.

They could pay the whole Apollo budget out of one year of that.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Europeans reckoned the agency cost €245 per citizen year. The actual figure is more like €10.

If they set up a crowdfunding site, I'll happily set up a Standing Order for an extra €10 per year. Cheap at twice the price!

3. Filippo

I am constantly bewildered by hostility towards space exploration in the public opinion. I really don't get it. Any time I hear "we should fix our problems on this planet first", I feel so utterly incapable of grasping the other guy's point of view that I can't think of any strategy to try and change his mind. The best I can come up with is prodding for how they feel about the amount of resources that humanity spend on consumer entertainment.

Most of the time they'll admit that spending billions (including tons of tax cuts) on movie remakes, overpaid athletes, and "AAA" videogames that nobody is going to remember in 20 years' time (let alone 200), is worse than spending them on making the things that let us have GPS and weather forecasts, or figuring out how to spot a dinosaur-buster in advance and do something about it.

But the next day, show them a trailer for Remake VIII: Return of the Revenge, and they'll just go "meh" at worst; show them a rocket launch and they'll actively bitch about the CO2 and how that money should go to starving orphans instead.

I just don't get it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's a pifflingly small amount of money for the work done, it's utterly bewildering that they don't see how it benefits them, with GPS, SatNav, Satellite telly, etc. etc.

But,

Similarly I hate the science 'purists' who claim visitor centres are 'dumbed down' and shouldn't exist.

It's as if they don't want people to understand why their work is so important or to inspire the next generation of scientists, there's a massive gap between the general public and 'science' that both sides could do an awful lot more to bridge and gain a lot of benefit from

2. Zolko

"The best I can come up with is prodding for how they feel about the amount of resources that humanity spend on consumer entertainment."

I do that with banks: if you'd take 10% of the profit that banks make a year, you'd finance an Apollo program each year. Because people have a tendency to like their iToy, but everybody hates banks.

4. phuzz Silver badge

the "B" word.

Which one?

Balloon launched rockets?

Boron based rocket fuel?

Baikonur?

The Bantam solid rocket motor?

1. Spherical Cow Bronze badge

I wish it was ballockets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019