back to article Rocket Lab crows about launch, SpaceX zipwires, and a monster mock-up arrives at Kennedy

While shy and retiring Elon Musk may have made a big noise with his big rocket, there was plenty other news for space fans to chew over in the last week. 'As The Crow Flies' to be Rocket Lab's ninth Electron mission Small-sat upstart RocketLab has set the date – kind of – for its ninth Electron launch. The mission, still from …

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Fair's fair

As NASA acknowledges: "Typical spaceflight hardware can take six to eight years to develop."
    So Boeing and SpaceX are both ahead of schedule on the Commercial Crew program...

2. Alistair Silver badge
    Windows

how about "quoth the raven".

Naaaah, might not be a good idea.

3. davetalis
    Pint

"Spider" is a fantastic episode and frankly my favourite of the series, showing real engineering challenges and solutions and somehow always reminding me for some reason of "The Great Escape" :-)

4. Mark 85 Silver badge

It would sound like anyone could build an Apollo lunar lander might have a shot at the contract. The plans still exist as well at examples. I guess it's a question of how bad do they want to get there, and "oh... new shiny".

5. Joe Gurman

I'm such a geezer....

"Those with long memories will remember similar activities with Space Shuttle Enterprise and the External Tank ahead of Columbia's first launch."

I can remember similar actives with the Apollo-Saturn V stack.

6. Muscleguy Silver badge

As a Kiwi I have a soft spot for Rocket Lab. A couple of Kiwi's wondering if you can 3D print a rocket engine and decide to find out.

Shades of the Hamilton brothers perfecting the marine jet engine so they could go power boating on the braided rivers in Canterbury (very wide, gravel beds, multi streams, nothing very deep).

More recently there was a guy who designed and part built a stealth helicopter. Except by making it remote controllable he allowed the authorities (possibly leant on by Uncle Sam) to class it as a cruise missile and hence banned. I feel sorry for him. Last I heard he was defying court orders to turn over the plans and hence surrender his entire IP rights to his design and invention. Engineers, beware of businesspeople.

1. Bumpy Cat

To put it charitably, the stealth helicopter was a bit pie-in-the-sky. Even one of the stated features (diesel-powered, stealth, full satellite control) would be ambitious for an aerospace start-up. The helicopter start-up failed without any real results.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10703714

The (home-made) cruise missile was a separate proof-of-concept by someone else:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Simpson_(blogger)

There's certainly a lot of enthusiasm for aerospace projects in NZ!

7. adam 40 Bronze badge

Lunacy lander

I think NASA aren't thinking outside the box enough.

Instead of a lunar lander which returns from the surface, how about one that just lands and stays there.

You take with you several chemical rockets, to which you can strap payload to return, or astronauts.

If the chemical rocket is (for example) hybrid solid fuel, it can be made to turn on, off, and steer, to dock with the "command module" or whatever.

Instead of returning a big load of useless hardware to orbit, you just bring back the parts you need.

Then you leave behind a habitable module which you can add to over time, building up a "Space 1999" moon base, albeit 21 years later.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Lunacy lander

NASA has quite a lot of experience with the type of lander you describe...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019