back to article Dunkin do-nots: Deep-fried cake maker did not warn its sugar addicts that crooks raided web accounts, says NY AG

The US state of New York is suing food chain Dunkin Donuts for what is says is an illegal lapse in computer security. NY Attorney General Letitia James said today the complaint stems from a 2015 raid on Dunkin's website: fraudsters broke into individual customer accounts, stole those victims' payment card info from the …

1. HellDeskJockey
    Joke

NOOOOO!!!!!!!

Not my Donut account. Is nothing sacred to these beasts.

1. GnuTzu Silver badge

Re: NOOOOO!!!!!!!

It's low hanging fruit filling.

We've reach the critical mass in which every business is now virtually obligated to be online in some form or another, and those with the tightest budgets are simply going to be the easy targets.

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Facepalm

Ho Hum

It seems the people running the show were the doh-nuts

3. Marketing Hack Silver badge

Donut Disaster!

This article "raised" some serious issues that had been "glazed" over. It's a shame Dunkin decided to "fritter" away this opportunity to protect its customers. Obviously, we are left with no reason for other retailers to be "jelly" about Dunkin's website security, which seems a bit "old-fashioned".

1. Blofeld's Cat
      Coat

Re: Donut Disaster!

Quite right, the hundreds and thousands of customers affected should be told the hole truth about the activities of this crime ring.

1. Giovani Tapini Silver badge

Re: Donut Disaster!

What a Toroid affair this is.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"brute-forced their way into these customer accounts by simply guessing people's passwords."

Or found customers who'd reused IDs and passwords from breaches of other sites?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"what is says is an illegal lapse in computer security."

Of course, if it had been a government department, the lapse would not only have been legal, it would have been compulsory...

6. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    WTF?

Just one question...

why the f**king hell does anyone on this green earth need an account with a doughnut seller?

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

Re: Just one question...

You're not American, are you ?

2. Snake

Re: Just one question: Why

THIS.

People are morons and will gladly give up their personal information for the occasional free donut, showing that they have no fundamental care regarding their personal details yet expect OTHERS to do it for them.

"You're not American" has begun to mean 'So, you're not a idiot, mindless sheep, huh?' when referencing these situations (always remember that, sadly, I'm Amerikun).

4 years ago I refused a salad shop bonus card after I was told that I must register online with my phone number. Screw you!!

I seem to be one of the few Americans who actually values their own space, and are not willing to give it up to greedy corporations for a pittance.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Just one question: Why

There are more than a few of us. As an info sec person (does it matter what country I live in) my banking is only accessible in person, I have never done business with any Amazon crap. I don't have auto payment on anything. There are no non-work apps on my phone. I have zero trust (as I look behind myself at my desk lol) and all my passwords are 24+ characters - help.....

7. Claptrap314 Silver badge
    Trollface

The done messed up

compromising the security of 80% of America's police. This won't end well for them.

8. BigAndos

Everyone and their dog wants your personal details! Why on earth do dunkin donuts need you to create an account? I assume you get some kind of incentive like a free donut for every 10 you buy or something. What's wrong with just giving you a stamp card like my local coffee shop?

Marketers everywhere are obsessed with "personalisation" and want to hoover up all your data even when it is blatantly unnecessary like this, or just sell it on. The other day I tried to install Nvidia's utility to keep your graphics drivers up to date and even that wanted me to create an account (no thank you).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"What's wrong with just giving you a stamp card "

Your data is worth more than their donuts.

9. ocflyfish

Seems like a decent trade

You get a free donut and in return DD will watch your information float off to the dark web. They will even wave as it leaves the data center.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019