back to article Face-recognizing cop body cams hit another hurdle, genderless voice assistants, and more

Let's catch up with recent goings on in the world of artificial intelligence. California set to ban face-recognition from police body cams: The proposed Body Camera Accountability Act, a law bill that seeks to ban cops from wearing face-recognizing cameras for three years, has passed the California Senate. It's now over to …

1. druck Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Genderless Voice

A world not defined by gender - what a load of Bolovaries!

2. A K Stiles

Accents?

It'd be nice if they could try and create a range of accents too. I was going to say accentless, but I'm not sure that's possible?

There's something I find mildly irritating about the Q voice though I'm not sure quite what it is - possibly artefacts of the post processing they've done to push it to 'gender-less' ?

3. Stuart Halliday
    WTF?

When I listened to Q. My mind at first identified it as male then female and then back and forth as various sexes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I played it in the office - I thought it was female, my colleague swears it was male!

4. EastFinchleyite

Q

To my ears, the Q voice sounded masculine with deliberate feminine overtones. Not genderless but more gender complete.

I think we should ask Jean-Luc Piccard for his views. He has more experience than most with Q.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Q

Or (the still male) James Bond 007 ... while M has displayed gender fluidity I think Q has always been male (and the idea of having the original Q as the voice of one of these devices sounds quite attractive!)

5. BenjaminHare

Welcome to Hell

Having always wondered what voice announcements in Hell would sound like, I applaud these engineer's for creating something so bland, flat, and devoid of any identifiable characteristics. Bravo. I can easily imagine Q saying helpful things like "It rubs the lotion on it's skin" and "I'm sorry, Dave, but I can't let you do that."

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you create a voice assistant and don't use the voice of HAL then you are doing it wrong.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019