back to article DNA-in-space archive could spark 'Upload Me to the Moon' croon boom soon

Stamping your footprints on the Moon's surface remains an impossible bucket-list ambition for practically all of us over the age of two. But for $99 you might still be able to leave a DNA footprint there. A startup called LifeShip is getting ready to launch a Kickstarter campaign to send the biological source code of its crowd …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"If radiation breaks up some of them"

Um, with the amount of radiation hitting the Moon's surface full blast, I'm pretty sure that, in a million years, the radiation will have broken up all of them.

1. adam 40 Bronze badge

Re: "If radiation breaks up some of them"

However, if they hit the moon hard, it could bury itself under a few 10's of metres of rock, and shield itself from the radiation. As an added bonus you don't need to arrange a pesky soft landing.

You just need a nice tungsten nosecone to carve through the rock.

2. Chris G Silver badge

Veeger

I think I would prefer my DNA to be distributed Voyager style, outside of the Solar system rather than dumped on the moon.

But just confirm that facebook isn't involved in this, I don't want them having anything of mine.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Veeger

It's ok, facebook already knows...

3. Oengus Silver badge

"safe and unmolested by the threat of natural disaster or nuclear holocaust

Who wants to calculate the chances of

a) the "ark" landing safely on the moon after the results of the previous effort to land a repository

b) the "ark" being smashed by a meteorite within a couple of millennia

4. sbt Silver badge

Hardiman by name...

News flash, 3019: Like the famous cases of sperm donor clinicians back in the 21st century, it turns out the DNA sent to the moon all belongs to Mr. Hardiman.

5. Paul Kinsler
    Mushroom

Hmm

Everyone knows that it was twenty years ago - in fact, to the very day - that the moon was blasted from Earth's orbit by a massive explosion in a lunar waste dump. Pretending that the Moon, that sadly departed glory of our sky, is still there is clearly in pretty poor taste.

As for lunar DNA storage - well, if we could, we'd really have to ask John Koenig, Helena Russell, and the rest of the Moonbase Alpha crew about that.

:-)

1. Julz Bronze badge

Re: Hmm

60's optimism seems to have been pervasive. I predict that Mr Decker will be flying his car around/over L.A. in November visiting mega-corporations and retiring a few supremely fit but strangely melancholy and otherworldly people.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019