back to article Infosec prophet Bruce Schneier (peace be upon him) is only as famous as half of Salt-N-Pepa

Despite billing himself as "the world's most famous hacker", Kevin Mitnick isn't the infosec personality your grandma is most interested in learning more about. That honour falls to Robert Herjavec, who is the most searched-for person on Google with an infosec connection, according to a list compiled by threat intel firm …

1. JohnFen

I had to look that up

I had never heard of Walder Frey! I read the subhead and had to search for the name to find out who that was. I know who John McAfee is, though.

1. Jim Mitchell

Re: I had to look that up

I'm familiar with Walder Frey and Game of Thrones, however describing the show as "some American sitcom about a metal chair." threw me for a moment. The show was filmed in Europe, had a mostly English cast and was shown internationally. Supposedly even based on historical British/Scottish events, as filtered through Martin's mind.

1. Teiwaz

I've never have recognised Got from that rather (trying to hard to be a) Gen-X'er description.

I've not watched TV since 2012, i just assumed it was in reference to some sitcom about disability that managed to garner enough interest to reach a certain level of awareness, but not much beyond the non-TV watching public (say, somewhere between the second Roseanne and Big Bang Theory, but not as high as Friends - probably around Will and Grace levels*).

* There's no A.A. for TV - but I used to be a bit of an addict.

2. Blazde Silver badge

'metal chair' was sufficiently glib to give it away. I laughed anyway. They make some pretty boring sitcoms in America but who would actually make one about a non-specific metal chair?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

John "Totally Sane" McAfee

He's asshole, a scumbag... but Tech would be a boring world without him!

I'm not ashamed to admit... next to the BoFH, he's my second favourite role model.

3. Andy 68

[None of us made it – Ed]

Maybe we should try and change that by googling for

Dabbs, Alistair - 101 uses for a pineapple

https://www.google.com/search?q=dabbs%2C+alistair+-+101+uses+for+a+pineapple

every time we sit at someone else's computer.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: [None of us made it – Ed]

Won't help, whenever you Google something it's Bruce Schneider typing the answer

1. 0laf

There is no chin behind Bruce Schneier's beard. There is only another pseudorandom number generator and he's gonna use it to encrypt your face.

https://www.schneierfacts.com

1. Anonymous Coward
          Mushroom

https://www.schneierfacts.com/facts/322 (pass the mind bleach)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: googling for "Dabbs, Alistair - 101 uses for a pineapple"

OK, done. :-)

Edit: actually, I just tried this again from another computer, and there the first hit was this forum page (!)

4. quxinot

"Cyber security has changed remarkably over the last 15 years and Google's search data is a great measure of this,"

Cyber-everything has changed remarkably over the last 15 years, come to think about it. Funny how that works.

5. tfewster
    Facepalm

Not according to Googlefight

https://www.googlefight.co.uk/kevin+mitnick-vs-Robert+Herjavec.php

And Edward Snowden beats them both

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd like to give a shout out to Lukas Stefanko for his work exposing Android malware.

But for sheer entertainment value, McAfee wins hands down.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like