back to article Symantec shares up as private equity suitors sniff consumer tentacle

Symantec shares have jumped almost 5 per cent following reports that it is close to offloading its consumer business to a pair of private equity investors. Exactly a month ago, Symantec confirmed the sale of its enterprise business and brand name to chip firm Broadcom for $10.7bn. Early negotiations put a price tag of $15.5bn …

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

I must admit I always used to groan inwardly whenever I heard Symantec bought a company that made tools I liked. They nearly always messed them up. Even Ghost, in the end, succumbed to the cold, dead hand of Symantec.

If Norton went its own way and started producing decent tools again, I can imagine there's a lot of greybeards* like me who would cheer.

* It's not all grey, I'm not that old. I just have enough vitiligo that I sometimes get mistaken for a badger.

1. Jim Mitchell
      Unhappy

Cheer? I think you missed that "private equity" in the article headline.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Private equity will rape and pillage and spit out the remaining pieces.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Goodbye Norton

Goodbye Norton, you were once OK for us consumers. Now you'll just be annoying clickbait and upselling to grab our data.

4. Androgynous Cow Herd

what's left?

So they sold the Enterprise division...

then they sell the consumer division...

What is left? Government or something?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019