back to article Oh there it is, Facebook shrugs as Free Basics private key found to be signing unrelated apps

Facebook has insisted that losing control of the private key used to sign its Facebook Basics app is no biggie despite totally unrelated apps from other vendors, signed with the same key, popping up in unofficial repositories. Targeted mainly at third-world countries, Facebook Basics is the latest incarnation of Internet.org …

1. iron Silver badge

You mean Facebook aren't using the recommended and more secure option of having Google store your signing key? Colour me not shocked.

2. Baldrickk Silver badge
    FAIL

Facebook loses control of their keys, consumers put in potentially compromised position - "so what" they say.

Pretty indicative about what they think about us eh?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bodes well for "back doors for spooks"

As private keys never leak.

4. LeahroyNake Silver badge

Other stores?

'If you have any friends or relatives using Facebook Basics, now is a good time to double check it was downloaded from the Google Play store. ®'

Other stores are available, at least it is up to the user to decide... IOS users excluded of course.

Clean for 3ish years so far and I'm doing OK. Thanks to all the support from actual physical contact (that sounds creepy) with people, I do not miss the cat videos or that woman that Kanye something about an arse Korean drama Trump diet what meh.

5. don't you hate it when you lose your account

What's more dangerous

A fake Facebook or Facebook?

1. Steve Graham

Re: What's more dangerous

Well, a fake Facebook could steal all your personal information and... Oh, right.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So FB is the new AOL

Everyone sitting in one server room thinking they are on the internet.

I wonder if any of them know they are in a little box decorated to keep them inside (insert image of man looking at ants in a box, while a god looks at the human in the house looking at the ant's in the box. Then there is Zeno watching them all.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook

I've heard of it.

Never found a use for it.

No good reason to bother.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019