back to article Apple cracks, straps on free repair service for defective Watches

Good news for owners of certain Apple Watches – the vendor has initiated a free-of-charge repair service for those afflicted with a design defect that can cause the screen to crack. "Apple has determined that, under very rare circumstances, a crack may form along the rounded edge of the screen in aluminium models of an Apple …

1. David Shaw

in my family, the screen typically survives for around a year, we've had them pop-off several times, crack at the edge, crack in the middle, crack in the corner..

several "free' repairs by the shiny fruit company have helped, and they upgraded the faulty 'zero' to a 'one' which was nice. so-far approx a 50% free repair service level for certainly more-fragile-than-the-average watches. (tho' all my previous Nike+ wearables failed, and all the FitBits failed faster...)

I'll probably be trying next week's sapphire display, ceramic/titanium body AW5, if MR is to be believed, or perhaps just the sapphire with stainless steel body....

the best performing, longest surviving smart wearable (so-far) that I ever bought is the Pebble Time Steel Smartwatch for about £99

1. DougS Silver badge

Damn

in my family, the screen typically survives for around a year

tho' all my previous Nike+ wearables failed, and all the FitBits failed faster

What are you doing with your watches/bands, using them to hammer nails?

1. David Shaw

Re: Damn

hammer nails Nope, the most sporty member of the family, fitness, weightlifting, cycling - has never damaged (or brought to surface an apple problem, shall we say)

whilst all the other failures are just average normal life, normal daily usage, for a quite fragile devices

2. LeahroyNake Silver badge

Heat gun

Look like the same sort of fail time (they drop the bloody things all the time) I get between the devices in my house, though to be fair several tablets & phones and the new touch screens probably cost less than a few of your watches.

I'm happy for you that Apple decided to replace your broken glass. Just wish they would sell the replacement parts to cheap skates like me that can use a heat gun...... Then I can make some serious money doing Apple kit along side all the other stuff....... Oooo that's gonna cost, but it will not take two weeks.

3. A K Stiles

Longest surviving

The longest surviving smart watch I bought is the first one, 'cos it's still going - Pebble Time (not steel).

Okay, so it has had one new strap, but otherwise is working just fine thanks. And the bare minimum of 'health' monitoring stuff means I hope it continues to function for a good while yet.

1. DJV Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: Longest surviving

I'm still using the sundial I built during the stone age.

4. JohnFen Silver badge

"the best performing, longest surviving smart wearable (so-far) that I ever bought is the Pebble Time Steel Smartwatch for about £99"

I agree entirely with this -- in fact, I'm still using one on a daily basis. I couldn't be happier. It's the best smartwatch (for me) that I've ever tried.

I have been keeping an eye on the market, trying to plan what I'll do when the day comes that my Steel will have to be replaced, but I haven't found anything that seems suitable yet. I fear that I'm going to have to build my own.

5. D@v3

@David

+1 for the Pebble Steel. Mine lasted longer than the company, which is a shame.

2. johnnyblaze

Still wearing my 5 year old G-Watch R daily. A little scuff here and there, but working fine and the P-OLED screen is still immaculate. I'll probably replace it with a Pixel watch when available, but this has been a very reliable watch (I did have to replace the battery, but that's expected after all this time).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You're wearing it wrong...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019