back to article Pokémon Red and Blue-era trading cards just made their owner a load of green: Complete set sells at auction for $107k

Folks: great news. If you get your first-edition Pokémon trading card collection down from the loft, you may as well tell the boss you're not coming in again. You did properly pack them away in a binder, right? What am I asking, of course you did. You didn't? Crap. Ditto. Maybe stop reading now, in that case – or get Mum on …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wish I could find some old shit lying around the house that an idiot would buy for silly money.

1. Tigra 07 Silver badge

RE: AC

You could try selling your used underwear on ebay?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: RE: AC

>You could try selling your used underwear on ebay?

I did and someone called Tigra 07 came up with the winning bid, enjoy the teabag Y fronts.

1. Tigra 07 Silver badge
          Gimp

"I did and someone called Tigra 07 came up with the winning bid, enjoy the teabag Y fronts."

Teabag stained? Your ebay description says lemon stained you swine!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

>Teabag stained? Your ebay description says lemon stained you swine!

It's custard and chocolate with a splash of mayonnaise

2. The Nazz Silver badge

"You could try selling your used underwear on ebay?"

But is that effective, wouldn't the cost of restoring the wallpaper exceed the revenue?

2. VinceH Silver badge

"I wish I could find some old shit lying around the house that an idiot would buy for silly money."

I wish my parents hadn't got rid of the things I'd collected as a child and which some idiot might now buy for silly money. (Though probably not as silly money as the silly money mentioned in the article).

The most annoying one was the my first collection of comics when we were moving. I brought them downstairs, ready to be carted off... and my mother decided they'd be perfect for ripping up and using to wrap her ornaments.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I bet

I bet those ornaments go for a pretty penny in the charity stores now... about 99 of them.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

When my kids abandoned them, I grabbed them and stored them in my [admittedly overly-cluttered] garage. Now I am vindicated! Someday I'll get rid of them, for a good price.

3. FozzyBear Silver badge
        Unhappy

My dad had a full collection of superman comics from the 1960's. Apparently there was no place for comic book collection when they got married and moved into their house. Said he'd still be doing too if it wasn't for the killjoy in his life aka "mum".

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I just found some.

This article reminded me to check it out. Turns out the cards are second edition, so only worth around $20-100 each. Perhaps one $300. But it's hard to know on ebay is scammers, or real prices, and some varys massively.

4. Mark 85 Silver badge
      Unhappy

I wish I could find some old shit lying around the house that an idiot would buy for silly money

My parents tossed my stuff in the attic several decades ago. Only now do I find out that I could have had a great retirement from them.

Had such things as

Complete baseball card sets form the late 50's, a full library of the Fantastic Furry Freak Brothers comics, along with quite a few of the old Marvel comics and other comic books including early Mad Magazine issues.. <sigh>

2. ElectricFox
    Pint

I was expecting to Rhydon with more puns with your Mew-sings. I'm going to Slackoth for a beer now.

3. Tigra 07 Silver badge
    Unhappy

Boo. Down with this sort of thing

Expected a mention of Goldeen... Disappointed...

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: Boo. Down with this sort of thing

The author missed a Goldeen opportunity

4. chivo243 Silver badge

The youngin

he's into this pokemon thing, he has way more that 103 cards, but they are the new gen... Maybe next month when the buzz wears off, I'll put them into a binder and then into a time capsule!

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: The youngin

If the Youngin has touched or handled them, they'll not be in mint condition anymore. And thus suddenly worth a few pence/cents a piece.

5. not.known@this.address Bronze badge

What no Psyduck?

That's it, I'm not playing.

6. Free treacle

Worth slogging it out to the end

if only for onix-pected.

7. D@v3

my maths is rusty

but if there were 151 Pokemon in the original game(s) how can a "complete" set of cards be only 103 did they just decide that there were a couple of dozen not worth including?

1. Excellentsword (Written by Reg staff)

Re: my maths is rusty

I asked myself the same thing and took a look. For the very first base set, it seems that your suggestion would be true.

2. Tigra 07 Silver badge
      Trollface

The collection in question includes 102 Magikarp cards, and a valuable Charizard...

1. TechnicalBen Silver badge
        Trollface

You joke, but a legit strat is beating the entire game with only Magikarp...

I say legit. ;)

1. ArrZarr Silver badge
          Boffin

Beating Gen1 with a Magikarp is impossible as spash does no damage while Tackle and Struggle are both normal-type and won't damage the pokemon of the trainers in Lavender Tower.

In Gen1 Pokemon, of course, opponent (NPC and Wilds) PP isn't tracked by the game so stalling out the opponent's ghost's moves until they kill themself with their own struggle recoil also doesn't work.

*The more you know*

1. Tigra 07 Silver badge
            Trollface

What if you use a hacked game?

Magikarp used HYPER BEAM

1. ArrZarr Silver badge
              Holmes

Well with Hyper beam you have the recharge turn.

Except there's another issue in Gen1 where, if you faint the opponent's pokemon with Hyper Beam, the recharge turn is skipped.

Also, Hyper Beam is Normal type and still doesn't affect ghost pokemon.

8. Stork Silver badge

I remember a colleague, talking about his kids, used the expression "really valuable PokeMon card" (I was baffled). Apparently, the older kids in Kindergarten made the younger ones do bad trades.

9. Ugotta B. Kiddingme Silver badge

well played...

[polite applause] Practically perfect! Positively preeminent Pokemon punnery! [/polite applause]

10. ukgnome

I am surprised Team Rocket didn't try a half arsed attempt at stealing these before they went to market.

1. ShadowDragon8685

How do we know it wasn't them what hocked the lot in the first place?

11. DougS Silver badge

How hard would these be to counterfeit?

A high resolution scanner, and high quality printer, and whatever type of cardstock they are printed on, and you could make $100K? Seems worth a shot.

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme Silver badge

Re: How hard would these be to counterfeit?

for the more valuable ones, pretty difficult. Most of the really valuable ones have metallic and/or foil sections making them look almost holographic, like the Charizard card mentioned in the article

Here's a slightly better photo to illustrate what I mean.

12. earl grey Silver badge
    Trollface

Team Rocket

All i have to say is MEOWTH

13. razorfishsl

Just made me want to watch the southpark episode again.....

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

they sure know how to market to kids!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019