back to article Seoul cycle, rinse and repeat: South Korea kicks Japan off white list

South Korea has retaliated against Japanese trade measures by removing the country from its white list of automatically approved export partners. The move is presumably in retaliation against Japan, which took South Korea off its similar list of approved destinations for strategic materials 10 days ago. This comes despite a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not overly friendly

It looks as if Japanese actions in the 1930s and 1940s are coming back to bite them as the US exports toxic nationalism around the world and other countries catch it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ... as the US exports toxic nationalism

Most countries are perfectly capable of incubating their own toxic nationalism. I'm not that sure that we can reasonably blame it all on the US; and as far as I can tell, the one country that does seem to be making the strongest effort to support toxic nationalism elsewhere isn't the US.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Except the USA can reasonably do it. There is nothing much they absolutely NEED to import and apart from investment banking and social media not much they rely on export markets for.

Japan is a little trickier - if it can no longer export cars or electronics and so can't afford to import oil its domestic economy is going to get very bad very quickly.

(Not unlike another little island nation that just decided it doesn't need friendly trading relations with its neighbours)

1. Mark 85

Japan is a little trickier -

I'd say more than "a little" as they really have no natural resources. That's part of why they tried to establish the empire and brought on WWII in the Pacific. They can export manufactured goods all they want but without access to the raw materials, their' economy is screwed.

2. STOP_FORTH

Two points and a stupid suggestion

Japan/Korea relationship goes way back before 1930s and has never been that friendly.

I believe Japan has coal but it's too difficult to mine because of the rugged nature of their topography. The small part of Japan that isn't mountainous is needed for agriculture and adventure playgrounds for Godzilla.

Maybe they could develop a monstrous mining robot?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Two points and a stupid suggestion

I saw a documentary about that. Mechogodzilla.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Two points and a stupid suggestion

>Maybe they could develop a monstrous mining robot?

And use it to invade Australia

(too soon ?)

3. Kuze

Every August,

Japanese media report about nuclear weapon,war and peace.

But those are talk about only Japanese victims and sufferers.

and present Japanese society has strengthened revisionistic tendency to ignore what Japan's Forces did in Asia and Oceania during WW2.

therefore,Japanese general public's point of view about war is just "victim or sufferer of war".

Consciousness or point of view as assailant side of war are almost none in present Japanese society.

Some Japanese news shows become nationalistic and deny even existence of "Comfort Woman"(wartime sex slave) publicly.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like