back to article More Linux than Windows: El Reg takes Docker Desktop for WSL 2 preview out for a spin

Container wunderkind Docker has released a preview of Docker Desktop for Windows Subsystem for Linux 2. This peek at Docker Desktop 2 is based on the work Microsoft has done to make Windows Subsystem for Linux a full virtual machine (VM) with its own complete Linux kernel, instead of redirecting system calls as is done in the …

1. Fatman Silver badge
    Joke

Microsoft's embracing of Linux...

would never have happened if Ballmer was still CEO CCTO1.

1 CEO: Chief Executive Officer, CCTO: Chief Chair Throwing Offender

1. Adrian 4 Silver badge

Re: Microsoft's embracing of Linux...

I always thought his Developers, Developers monkey dance was the peak of his career.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Unhappy

Re: Microsoft's embracing of Linux...

I watched him do it. That's back when I attended MS Conferences. It's also back when I believed in the direction they were moving in. ".Net" initiative was my "Wake Up" moment. I stopped going. to their conferences. WRONG direction.

And thinking of WRONG direction, why is _THIS_ all 2D FLATTY FLATSO McFLATFACE like the OTHER Win-10-nic CRAP?

Microshaft ONLY excels at "getting it wrong" these days...

2. Hans 1 Silver badge
    WTF?

@elReg

Context: This peek at Docker Desktop 2 is based on the work Microsoft has done to make Windows Subsystem for Linux a full virtual machine (VM) with its own complete Linux kernel, instead of redirecting system calls as is done in the first version of WSL.

This means that the docker daemon can run in WSL rather than in a separate Hyper-V VM.

This means that the docker daemon can run in WSL's Hyper-V VM rather than its own.

#TFTFY

1. katrinab Silver badge

Re: @elReg

WSL, at least the currently shipping v1 of it, doesn’t run in Hyper-V. It is like Wine, except the other way round. I have it running in Hyper-V Windows machines that don’t support nested virtualisation, and on a Windows Machine that has Hyper-V disabled so I can run VMWare instead.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: @elReg

WSLv2 changes that, it becomes a "classic" virtual machine instead.

A shame, but I can't say I'm very surprised as making Windows merely POSIX is difficult enough.

3. AMBxx Silver badge
    Windows

Oil & Water

I've said it before - why all this insistence on being able to mix conflicting operating systems. Just makes it a nightmare to find the relevant documentation. MS need to have some confidence in their own products rather than just confusing everyone.

Windows became dominant because it was easy to use rather than being the best. Now, they're making it more difficult to use but not making it any better - go figure.

1. Tom 38 Silver badge
      Linux

Re: Oil & Water

Its driven out of necessity. If you are a developer working on cloudy bits, you're going to spend a lot of time, building, running, debugging images. If that's what you're into, you will already be using a Linux or Mac as your dev machine, because that makes this all very easy.

However, if you're not really in to it, and you've just been told that you have to do cloudy stuff, you're probably not running Linux on your desktop. Its probably windows, and almost all of the tutorials, instructions and resources no longer work.

So this is MS saying "Hey, you don't need to switch to Linux/Mac, you can still run all this stuff under Windows, almost the same as you would under Linux".

(I'd recommend switching to Linux tbh)

1. Kubla Cant Silver badge

Microsoft's goal of making Windows 10 an excellent solution for container-oriented development ...and making a round hole an excellent receptacle for square pegs.

I guess it's all about corporate standards. Out of the last 10 development projects I've worked on, 8 used Windows, 1 Ubuntu and 1 Mac. I think this is mostly because of the cost of supporting a managed Windows platform for business users, and not wanting to duplicate the effort just for developers.

2. Adrian 4 Silver badge

It wasn't ever easier to use. It just happened to be there. People learnt it and then were reluctant to learn something else. Its only USP was backwards compatibility. Now MS are killing that in a move to copy Apple's app store, it will die for lack of an any good reason to live.

Ony inertia and the dinosaur effect (news of damage hasn't reached the 'brain') keeps it going.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

I have the scars from managing Novell Netware. Windows was much easier and provided a far wider range of functionality. Just a shame it still a poorer file server than a product from 25 years ago.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Linux

[Windows] wasn't ever easier to use

Actualy it was, EASIER than MS-DOS. But it *NEVER* *REALLY* *GOT* *POPULAR* untl Windows 3.0. Why? [history lesson starts here] BECAUSE, Windows 3.0 was 3D SKEUOMORPHIC!!!

Now, Micro-shaft is BACK on the 2D FLATTY McFLATFACE FLATSO look, which is _COMPLETELY_ _BASS_ _ACKWARDS_ from THE SUCCESS of Windows 3.0!!!

*ahem*

Its only USP was backwards compatibility. Now MS are killing that in a move to copy Apple's app store, it will die for lack of an any good reason to live.

Well I'd say that is partly true, at least for Win-10-nic. 7 is pretty usable, but I've grown used to a Mate desktop on either Linux or FreeBSD.

What keeps people using Windows is WINDOWS APPLICATIONS. The OS itself is SUCKING a LOT thse days. If it weren't for APPLICATIONS, *NOBODY* would want it!!!

[so what we need are major application developers targeting POSIX operating systems directly, or open source equivalents for all of the remaining things, before MS's marketing collapses onto itself like a star turning into a black hole]

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More taint in the Docker ecosystem

Run Docker on a real GNU/Linux instance and avoid all this bodged together MS bullshit. Seriously, it's not difficult.

"Oh, but my desktop is Windows"

Poor you. Run GNU/Linux in a VM (VirtualBox is good, other options are available).

"Oh, but I don't understand Linux. It's so hard."

Then you are an idiot for deploying on to infrastructure you do not fully understand. And it's not hard. Different, but not hard.

The more MS gets its claws into Docker, the worse it will become.

1. FIA

Re: More taint in the Docker ecosystem

Run Docker on a real GNU/Linux instance and avoid all this bodged together MS bullshit. Seriously, it's not difficult.

Like WSL2 you mean?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

WSL2 is locked to Windows, it's not real. Stop drinking the toxic kool-aid.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Linux

Run GNU/Linux AS THE HOST OS for Windows in a VM (VirtualBox is good, other options are available).

Fixed it for ya!

5. Adrian 4 Silver badge
    Holmes

Henry Spencer quote

Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to re-invent it, badly.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Henry Spencer quote

Those who do not understand Unix & re-invent it, swear badly.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Happy

Those who do not understand Unix & re-invent it, swear badly.

sounds like Linus, heh.

Megaphone

QED :)

6. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Truthfully, I knew already...

"The solution suggested by Docker engineer Simon Ferquel is either to use a workaround using the DOCKER_HOST environment variable, or to use docker-compose from within WSL. This second solution is easy when using Docker with Visual Studio Code remoting, since you can have a terminal open in WSL within the editor. You can also take advantage of the high performance bind mounting in WSL 2 to access source files on the Windows side, or keep the source files on the Linux side."

Clearly, this is Not For Me. Ars longa, vita brevis.

7. cdrcat

> The main rationale is to be able to use a full Linux toolchain while still using a Windows editor such as Visual Studio Code

Correction: Visual Studio Code is cross-platform (uses electron, runs on Linux), and Visual Studio does not run on Linux. The naming blows.

An IDE with only one window is not an IDE at all.

Can Electron please just die already?

8. DrBed
    Devil

quo vadis ms :D

At the end, you'll have 100% Linux with just an - exclusive Windows boot.

Reminds me of main function of IE&Edge: to dl Chrome.

1. Glen 1 Bronze badge

Re: quo vadis ms :D

I've always liked the idea of Windows being a desktop environment for Linux

2. jelabarre59 Silver badge

Re: quo vadis ms :D

Reminds me of main function of IE&Edge: to dl Chrome Waterfox.

There, FTFY.

9. Teiwaz Silver badge

Still think...

Running 'Linux on Windows is the stupid way round.

like trying to eat bun in a sausage wrapped in a napkin of ketchup

10. Zbig

What about LCOW?

So, does it mean that the "Linux Containers on Windows" are to be killed or are we going to have three methods of running Linux containers on Windows Docker now:

- The "classic" one, mentioned in the article that uses Hyper-V hosted "Moby VM" for all the Linux containers

- LCOW - "Linux Containers on Windows": each Linux container lives inside its own, minimal, lightweight Hyper-V VM

- The new, WSL2-based one

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019