back to article Chrome fans get that syncing feeling again as Google moves to bolster browser protections

Google has extended its Advanced Protection Program to include users signed into Chrome. The company had already bolstered protection across its preferred apps last week, and this week the Chocolate Factory extended the scheme to Chrome. Those who turn on slurp sync in Chrome and have signed up for the programme will start …

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

One ring to bring them all

and in the darkness bind them.

1. Starace Silver badge
      Flame

Re: One ring to bring them all

Google can kiss my One Ring.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Good idea. Bit of lube would help.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not needed for kissing the ring, and if tongues are doing more energetic kissing they are pretty much self lubricating

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

If you're plunging into my data, a kiss and something to ease entry is just polite.

And maybe buy dinner.

2. RyokuMas Silver badge
    Devil

Makes perfect sense...

Google's normal approach when rolling out something to further increase their ability to devour data is to hide it behind a mask of "for the user's security".

The only real difference is that this time, they've made it opt-in - for the time being at least.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Makes perfect sense...

The only real difference is that this time, they've made it appear opt-in

FIFY.

2. Snowy Silver badge
      Facepalm

Yes they did the same with bluetooth in that they want you to turn on location service for it to work for you protect. Not sure how a short range device connection needs to know where both devices are when they are going to be close together due to bluetooth being short ranged helps protect you.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Devil

> Not sure how a short range device connection needs to know where both devices are

It's a less silly argument than "Think of the children": They have to say something, don't they.

3. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

But

Presumably you can use more than one different sign-on or none, for, um, your needs.

...until someone notices that user BOJO_K_O uses a mock hesitation "um" in exactly the same way as... a leading writer of the day. Not to worry though, look at "Private Eye", it's on every page there as well, must be in the Style Guide.

4. Warm Braw Silver badge

Ostensibly aimed at the likes of journalists and politicos

No potentially-sensitive data to harvest there, then, tied back to a specific identity.

I've largely stopped using catch-up TV services because they all seem to insist on tying your viewing habits to an e-mail address, something that doesn't seem to bother them when the stuff goes out live. I'm certainly not going to log into a browser in order to use it (which means not using Chrome on Android either).

Google really needs to be broken up, Preferably into atoms.

1. RM Myers

Google really needs to be broken up, Preferably into atoms.

Not a good idea. I believe "Atom" is an Intel trademark. "Sub-atomic particles" seems to be available, though.

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Ostensibly aimed at the likes of journalists and politicos

I've largely stopped using catch-up TV services because they all seem to insist on tying your viewing habits to an e-mail address, something that doesn't seem to bother them when the stuff goes out live. I'm certainly not going to log into a browser in order to use it

an email address? oh no ! Yeah its its not like free TV on demand is a thing worth having is it.

better to pay the bbc 15 quid a month and let them dictate what you watch and what time.

You know all you tinfoil hat wearing privacy freaks may as well just throw your computers away now.

Privacy is dead - see Tom Scott's YouTube video on the subject.

If you want anything on the net these days you pay with data. Thats the deal.

If you're sitting there with your hatches battened , browser crippled with noscript etc, refusing to give your name, or even a made up one,

all you're going to be able to do is re read www.ntk.net and IRC chat.

brring on the downvotes!

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It seems that Google

is growing impatient with people trying to withdraw from the massive personal data slurping program. We'll see more of this coercion measures in the near future.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019