back to article Openreach hands out £14m to compensate for broadband outages. Not to you, silly, to your ISP!

BT's Openreach is forking out £14m to refund internet service providers for network outages and faults. BT announced the payment in results for the first quarter, ended 30 June, posting a 1 per cent fall in revenue to £5.63bn and profits down 1 per cent to £642m, compared with the same quarter last year. It said: "Openreach …

1. Commswonk Silver badge

"Not to you, silly, to your ISP!"

I know BT bashing (inc Openreach) is a popular game (often justifiably) but that part of the headline goes a bit far.

I buy my broadband service from BT and no, it hasn't offered me compenation for any outages, but then AFAIK there haven't been any other than the odd one or two for a few minutes.

If people buy broadband from other suppliers who themselves rely on BT to supply them then the customers' contracts are with the resellers, not with BT, so they will have to chase their own ISPs for a payout; they do not have contracts with BT so there is no reason why BT should compensate them other than via their own ISPs.

If those reselling BT's services receive compensation but do not pass it own to their own customers who have experienced downtime then that is hardly BT's fault.

Please try to hit the right targets!

1. katrinab Silver badge

Re: "Not to you, silly, to your ISP!"

Yes, but presumably BT Openreach pay compensation to BT Retail, Plusnet and EE, who in turn don't pass it on to their customers. So this "compensation package" is just transferring money to a different bank account.

2. K Silver badge

"AFAIK there haven't been any other than the odd one or two for a few minutes."

Count yourself lucky, I used to have at least one outage a month, and I work from home!

I'm not talking about brief disconnections. This was caused by BT engineers themselves, doing work in the local cabinet and somehow screwing up my ADSL - Then they had the audacity to tell me I'd have to wait 3-4 days for them to fix it.

After the 3rd or 4th time, I got so fed up, I ended up having my phone line upgraded to "business" and then paid for enhanced care, which meant to guaranteed an engineer with in 12 hours.

More recently I've moved to Virgin, where delays are longer than BT, sometimes 7 days... so, I have no choice by to pay for their "HomeWork" package. Which is actually fairly good, it even covers TV (thank god.. the missus would be pissed if I had Internet, but she couldn't watch Holly Oaks)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The first rule of ISP compensation is they don't talk about ISP compensation. Do you think they are just going to automatically credit you? You have to ring them up and ask them and also report every outage. You also get the best credits from the retention's team.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Recently my BT landline phone service failed - but the FTTC broadband connection to my ISP continued at about half-speed.

The BT automated testing confirmed there was a problem in "the last mile"- and an engineer would arrange a visit.

After waiting a week I raised a chat line query about the lack of progress. The response was that somehow the system had failed to assign an engineer for the fault. Two days later the fault was fully fixed. According to the helpful engineer who phoned me - corrosion had broken one pair of wires in the area distribution box. Apparently that accounted for why the broadband had continued when the phone was dead - albeit at half-speed. How is that wiring configured?

The BT compensation is so many £ per day - excluding: the day the fault is reported; the following two working days; weekends; and the day the fault is fixed.

BUT - the chat line had closed the original fault report and opened a new one in order to get the system to assign an engineer. So - I will bet they ignore the first report's downtime - and claim they fixed the fault within the SLA - and thus no compensation.

1. Alsibbo

If you get a corroded joint then you loose the DC wetting current and therefor the voice side of he system fails, but the higher frequencies used by ADSL can still pass by capacitive coupling over the break (with greater attenuation, hence the speed drop)

2. LeahroyNake Bronze badge

G. Fast

I volunteered one of my offices to be part of the free G. Fast trial around 6 months ago. I kept the other connections running in the background to fail over.

It was quite impressive until the trial came to an end. I'm back on the older VDSL2 connections with a different ISP / zen.

It seems that BT will not offer G. Fast in that area no matter how many times I keep asking them. I just don't understand the logic since the kit is already on site and in the exchange.

Just in case anyone is interested Zen seem to have their own backend systems and site to site VPN is very efficient if you use them for both sides. In contrast to the old Nildram Pipex now Talk Talk the performance is astounding.

3. mark l 2 Silver badge

Rather than Bo Jo promising unrealistic targets of fibre to every house by 2025 why doesn't he make the decision on whether Huawei can be used in the UK's 5G network then the operators can start to roll out 5G in more locations?

While I don't believe that 5G suddenly make loads of people rush to buy a new phone, as I think for most people 4G speeds are good enough when your out and about. I do think that 5G could replace fixed lines for a lot of peoples home broadband, And it can in theory delivery competing speeds to FTTP but without needing all the roads, pavements and driveways dug up laying a new fibre cables up to peoples houses.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

With all the talk of more bandwidth to the premises for everyone - how will the general infrastructure of networks and servers handle the aggregated demand?

5. victorjohn9211

Impressive

This is good information

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019