back to article Google shores up G Suite against hapless users in the enterprise: App whitelist, physical security keys, and more

Google has begun rolling out the beta of its Advanced Protection Program for enterprise, a set of stricter security policies intended for employees "most at risk". A consumer version of the Advanced Protection Program is already available, and even the enterprise version is not completely new in that the security policies …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Improved security . .

..and improved reliance on Google.

I know, I know, all suppliers want to make themselves 'indispensable' but it's still worth noting where it is happening.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Improved security . .

Yup, a magnificent excuse for Google to keep tabs on everything you do on your PC/tablet.

Thanks, Google, but I'll wait for some other provider to offer such functionality. One that does not have for principle business the slurping of everything everywhere.

You want to do security ? Start by securing me from you.

1. howieb2001

It's hardly slurping. G Suite users have voluntarily signed up for Google to manage their data, as well as other services.

1. david 12 Silver badge

Back in the day, when we signed up to G Suite, it only meant we had to login to use it. It didn't mean we had to tie our authentication to our global ID, the same global ID used by location services and the same global ID associated with our web browsing.

But now that we are locked into gmail and the G Suite, they're tightening the noose.

2. RyokuMas
    Devil

"Yup, a magnificent excuse for Google to keep tabs on everything you do on your PC/tablet."

I guess that with Chrome OS counting for little more than a rounding error in market share, it was inevitable that Google would start looking at other options to keep their unrestrained data gluttony fed...

3. vtcodger Silver badge

It says something about the modern world

So, we 21st century geniuses require a lot of elaborate and quite likely buggy electronics and logic to accomplish something a 19th Century locksmith could have worked up in a couple of hours -- a lock and physical key to restrict access to valuable information. Maybe we're approaching this wrong.

1. Charles 9

Re: It says something about the modern world

No, it's just that everyone and their mother gained access to the equivalent of dynamite. Now locks are the least of your worries.

4. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Serious about security? How about securing the ads you serve?

Yeah, not buying this one.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

The best safeguard for employees who are dumb enough to fall for every scam

Is a browser that always gives a connection error whenever they open it, so they think the internet is down.

1. Charles 9

Re: The best safeguard for employees who are dumb enough to fall for every scam

"The best safeguard for employees who are dumb enough to fall for every scam"

...only works if the person in question isn't OVER YOUR HEAD. And no, there isn't always another ship handy if you feel the need to jump. A stupid boss may be stupid, but he still signs the paychecks.

1. mevets

A bit of a touchy subject. Did one of your employees do this to you?

1. Psmo

More likely a Boss.

Reminds me of a BOFH:

- Who is your superior?

- Evolutional or hierarchical

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like