back to article You'll soon be fragging noobs on Kubernetes with Google's cloudy take on game servers

Google is testing a new cloud service designed specifically for video game developers, based on a fully managed version of the open-source Agones project. Agones, launched in 2017 and named after a type of contest in ancient Greece, is built on top of Kubernetes and subverts everyone's favourite container orchestration system …

1. overunder Bronze badge

Is this new?

Is this dev platform strictly for games that will be run from a cloud? If this isn't strictly for the cloud, is this worth advertising (besides for yet another of Google's data/spy slurp)?

As far as streaming games, in which country can you stream to your home 144fps at 4K? In the US, on average you can stream Minecraft at 30fps (but not at 4k).

1. iron Silver badge

Re: Is this new?

Taiwan, Singapore, Sweden, Denmark, japan, Netherlands, Switzerland, San Marino, Norway... basically anywhere that isn't a 3rd world country like USA or UK.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I live in Norway, I couldn't do it, I have 10mbit/s down, 900k/s up. Max I can get.

Also there was a plan to pull all the copper / let it die, without replacing it with anything else recently. With the you can use mobile instead. That was stopped by the government, as if that happened too many people like me would not have internet as mobile reception is very poor (I can no longer even receive MMS's). Think 5G is going to help with that, don't think so, even if its deployed, will be too far out of range.

2. Graham Dawson

Maybe some fancy Stockholmer could get that speed, but most of Sweden is still stuck with copper or fttc, and even then it's only larger towns that get any reliable high-speed internet. Of that list, only Singapore has universal high speed coverage, and only because it's a single city-state.

2. Danny 14 Silver badge

Some redditors who tried high fps at 4k twitch tried it at 7500bps so thats just about anyone. 4G should even stream that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So i should also go pull out my old 14.4k modem (wouldnt want to risk it on a 9600) and should be able to stream 4k games, cool.

What you can do with technology these days, why couldn't we do that back when I was a kid. Just think of the quality pron that i could have been watching back then with that type of compression technology instead we got all that pixelated crap..

1. overunder Bronze badge

"So i should also go pull out my old 14.4k modem"

Dude, sell that shit on ebay as a "Redundant Highspeed Cloud Gaming.... Adapter".

4k... high fps... 7500bps... what the...?? 0.009 pixels per bit, per frame. That is crazy compression.

2. RyokuMas Silver badge
    FAIL

One more reason for me to stick to making local multiplayer/single player games in my spare time then...

I can see the GDPR headaches now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019