back to article To get a sense of Samsung's Q2 profits, picture a Galaxy Fold closing to half the size

Samsung's quarterly profits have been cut in half by shrinking smartphone sales and the ongoing memory oversupply crisis. Everyone's favourite chaebol reported (PDF) revenues of ‎₩56.13 trillion ($48bn) for the second quarter of 2019, the three months to 20 June, down 4 per cent year-on-year, but its net profit was reduced to …

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

Most probably as "AI understanding" Samsung (and all others) mean this:

1. A computer system implemented method of creating and using structured data from a textual input, the method comprising: providing a table for structured data; receiving at least one textual input; dividing at least a portion of the textual input into one or more paragraphs; for each of the paragraphs, creating a profile by extracting one or more predicative phrases from the paragraph; for each of the predicative phrases, extracting a noun from the predicative phrase; for each extracted noun, receiving a textual definition from the dictionary corresponding to the noun of the predicative phrase; dividing the textual definition for each noun into one or more definition paragraphs, and creating a profile for each definition paragraph by extracting one or more predicative phrases of the definition paragraph; comparing the profile of each definition paragraph to the profile of the paragraph containing the respective noun based upon an algorithm for compatibility; and adding the predicative phrase containing the noun into the table for structured data if the algorithm for compatibility is satisfied.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@I.Geller What does A.I. and your patented algorithm have to do with this article? Can your A.I. explain itself? Perhaps you could train your A.I. to only post comments related to the article subject?

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

The camel's back and the straw, read below? If Samsung can use AI before them, it can gain an advantage and win competition,

AI answers, and nothing else.

2. I.Geller Bronze badge

The only way to "understand" is to find the same patterns (in a dictionary definition) that match what was used before, which can be done automatically and is called AI.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ai weh..

2. LeahroyNake Bronze badge

5G

"The network business will continue to build a strong foundation for expansion in the global 5G market based on its leadership in 5G commercialization in the US and Korea."

I thought Huawei were the only serious contender that could supply in volume. This is the first I have heard from ElReg about Samsung being in the game?

What have I missed?

1. DougS Silver badge

Re: 5G

Where did you hear that Huawei was the only one who could supply in volume? From Huawei? There are multiple players in the game, Huawei is far from the only one.

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

And AI is the key! AI is the straw that can break a camel back.

2. RuffianXion

Huawei - Your way, my way, any way to get a clickbait title. Websites love Huawei - click here for 25 best ways to incorporate Huawei into a page title for clicks. Also some random news about 5G.

2. eldakka Silver badge

I thought Huawei were the only serious contender that could supply in volume.

You thought wrong. Ericsson and Nokia also supply 5G kit.

Huawei does have a lead, especially with respect to price, but is far from the sole supplier.

Since it was/is the cheapest, many telco's, especially cheap arseprice sensitive ones were looking to its kit to maximise profitsbe able to afford to upgrade to 5G in a timely manner.

3. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921 Bronze badge

Why the heck would anyone want such a massive frickin phone? It'll fall apart after some weather seasoning extremes of hot and cold, and if you actually use it. And it's almost an inch thick! INCH! I have taken to donning one of these under my jacket because no pocket is big enough for any of the phones I have already:

ebay:

https://bit.ly/2YDTpBy

4. ishitha5

You can find similar patterns you preferred earlier and you can use Artificial intelligence to do so.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019