back to article Microsoft drops 'Go Live' preview of .NET Core 3, complete with desktop app support

Microsoft has released .NET Core 3.0 Preview 7 and Visual Studio 16.3 Preview 1, which work together to enable new features including Windows desktop applications built with .NET Core and C# 8.0. NET Core 3.0 is the first version of Microsoft's open-source, cross-platform fork of .NET that is able to target Windows …

1. WibbleMe

Its called PWA, its written in javascript and can run on any device through a browser. Is it time to retire old man

1. tiggity Silver badge

The big problem of progressive web apps is that they are written in JS, with all the issues it entails.

Though, ironically (last time I played around with this in VS) - MS let you use typescript generation so can at least begin with nice clean typed code and generate JS from it instead of coding JS directly.

Not all software is small apps

2. james_smith

Frankly, anything written in JavaScript should just FOAD.

3. Malcolm 1

If the PWA platform was that good then Electron would not exist.

I am generally in favour of PWAs where appropriate, but implying that they can do everything that WPF or WinForms can do is naive.

2. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

The many different .NET variants?

Configuring the .NET Portability Analyzer is a reminder of the many different .NET variants Microsoft has created

Thereby making it a moving target and in the process making it impossible to clone.

I doubt they will be able to clone Windows. It is very difficult to do technically. we have made it a moving target and we have some visual copyright and patent protectionref ref

Regarding other such 'innovations' currently going on in virtualizatiion space, I suspect it's part of the strategy of pricing the rest of us out of the market.

1. Warm Braw Silver badge

Re: The many different .NET variants?

a moving target and in the process making it impossible to clone

.NET core is open source, so cloning it is hardly a difficult task.

The interesting part of this is that Microsoft have seemingly concluded that Windows desktop is very much a legacy platform. Whereas run-of-the-mill applications can generally be framed in a web browser without much loss of functionality or performance, you'd still be hard pressed to deliver Photoshop or high-end video editing - or indeed many games - by that route.

3. chucklepie

So you can have c# 8 but no EF, forms, etc or you can have EF, forms, etc but no c#8.

Is a great time to be alive.

1. Spender

EF Core has been available in dotnet core for quite some time and is now on version 3.0 and will use C#8 features.

You might find this enlightening.

4. PVS-Studio

Checking the .NET Core Libraries Source Code by the PVS-Studio Static Analyzer: https://habr.com/en/company/pvs-studio/blog/463535/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019