back to article Microsoft snubs Hololens loyalists by already ending feature updates – even though version 2 isn't out yet

Microsoft will no longer improve the operating system for its Hololens headset, save for security fixes. The Windows giant updated its firmware earlier this month for the headset but in the notes accompanying the release noted that the "HoloLens (1st gen) is entering Long Term Servicing (LTS) state." In plain English that …

1. JohnFen Silver badge

A great idea!

"You can pre-order a Hololens 2 for a market-busting $3,500 "

I can spend $3,500 on a piece of kit that will end up abandoned like the Hololens 1? What a fantastic idea!!

2. Dvon of Edzore

Business as Usual

So it's back to waiting for version 3.1 before we take any Microsoft product seriously? Or should we wait for Hololens for Workgroups?

(Icon represents the vapourware they're marketing.)

1. Persona Bronze badge

Re: Business as Usual

Even if 3.1 was fantastic Microsoft would pull the plug on it as soon as people became reliant on it. Not to be malicious, but because it didn't have the same profitability as Office or Azure.

3. Sureo

"Not ready for primetime"

Microsoft should be paying users for trying it out.

4. redpawn Silver badge

LTS

I spent my $5000 on health insurance and now am on LTS myself.

5. Avatar of They
    Facepalm

I don't get it.

So like browsers, mobile platforms, music players etc. M$ are basically starting to pull out of the VR war when it is now a rather intense market place and leaping forward in tech capability.

They really are just about cloud and a data mining desktop OS now. Oh and Minecraft.

1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge

Re: I don't get it.

I thought everyone who wanted a VR headset now has one?

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: I don't get it.

What, both of them?

6. Starace Silver badge
    Alert

Confused

So they're basically saying that their current working but superceded product is going to be frozen with the current feature set? But they'll still provide security updates? And they have a replacement version with a better feature set?

That isn't abandoned or ophaned, that's a normal product life cycle. Abandoned is when it gets no updates at all and the whole concept and infrastructure is binned and this isn't that.

What exactly were people expecting to happen with v1.0 going forward?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Confused

"Long Term Servicing (LTS) state....In plain English that means it will no longer update the system to add new features i.e. it is effectively abandoning the kit."

LTS to my way of thinking is that it's the version which receives security updates over a log period of time as opposed to a a bleeding edge version that doesn't. Linux kernels and Linux distros are examples, some kernels and some Ubuntu releases get updates longer than others. It means they're the versions you use for production.

1. JohnFen Silver badge

This.

LTS is the compromise offered to those of us who can't stand rapid release. It's not a great compromise, but it's all we got. What it isn't is an indication of EOL.

2. JohnFen Silver badge

"That isn't abandoned or ophaned, that's a normal product life cycle."

It's the tail end of the normal software product lifecycle. But this is a piece of hardware -- this is effectively abandoning the hardware.

7. Dallas Animator

I think a HoloLens loyalist is probably much more interested in the HoloLens 2 and much less concerned about continued support of an outdated piece of hardware. The HoloLens 1 was an incredible piece of technology but then again so was the I-phone 1. It's only natural for Microsoft to shift their focus to future tech.

1. JohnFen Silver badge

I totally understand why Microsoft wants to do this. But that they are willing to do this on such an expensive piece of gear merely reinforces that you shouldn't spend a lot of money on gear that Microsoft is selling.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019