back to article Sailfish OS given a Jolla good buffing as version 3.1 bobs gently into port

Jolla has updated Sailfish, the Linux-based mobile OS aimed at those who prefer a little less Android and Apple in their lives. Trumpeting the version as the "biggest update since the launch of Sailfish 3", Jolla has named the code "Seitseminen" after a national park 50km from the company's HQ in Tampere, Finland. Things have …

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Kudos to Jolla

I tried the very first Sailfish phone and liked it - no, I wanted to like it and sort of did 'cos it was new and different, but it quickly became a nuisance.

I am struggling to find a reason to dip my toe in the Scandinavian waters again and maybe I will partly out of sympathy, partly because yes competition is good. But tired cliches such as "biggest update since...." do not help. Nor do cosmetic tweaks.

And as many punters on this site have said every micro-iteration to today's phones makes them more and more yawn-worthy.

Dear Jolla - give me a reason to change.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Kudos to Jolla

Control of your data not enough? The thing we had before the Silly Valley mob piled in 12 years ago.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

maybe a resurrection of a Finland-based cell phone company, using THIS as its OS?

and no back doors or "phone home" slurp

1. Waseem Alkurdi Silver badge

Nokia/HMD Global claims that title, yet it isn't really Nokia.

No financial gain from adopting Sailfish OS = no go.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

I think Jolla made a lot of money licensing Sailfish to Russia's Rostelecom. It is rebranded Aurora (Avrova) OS in Russia and the government there are replacing their fleet of Apple and Android devices, wanting to reduce their dependency on US software.

Huawei are also now looking at Avrova.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-huawei-tech-usa-russia/chinas-huawei-to-start-talks-with-russia-on-using-avrora-os-ria-idUSKCN1TM0XA

2. Dabbb Bronze badge

You will lose control over your data the moment you install any Google app. And if you don't use any of them I'd say you should be fine with Nokia 3110.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

There are Google apps on the 3110.

2. STOP_FORTH
      Trollface

People from Scandinavia (and Finland) have a rather subtle sense of humour which seems to be missed by many USians and Brits. "biggest update since...." is clearly a joke.

(I'm giving Swedes the benefit of the doubt here, don't know why.)

1. Benson's Cycle

To this Brit it was obviously a joke, and a nod in the direction of Windows 3.1 versus 3.

Please could they go for a proper Xperia, however, one with a fast CPU and waterproofing?

2. werdsmith Silver badge

People from Scandinavia (and Finland) have a rather subtle sense of humour which seems to be missed by many USians and Brits. "biggest update since...." is clearly a joke.

"Sailfish OS 3.1 is our biggest update since the launch of Sailfish 3 last year"

Nothing subtle about that, it's blatantly in your face tongue in cheek.

1. STOP_FORTH
          Terminator

If you put your tongue in your cheek, it's always in your face. You must be an AI bot, or you'd know this already. Oh no, have I just added another data point?

2. James 51 Silver badge

Hmmm If the Gemini version had app support I'd be very tempted to reach for my credit card. Maybe 3.2.

I don't think it's ever coming to Gemini, which for me is a good thing.

I've done the 3.1 update and there is not that much difference. It's still superb and my preference over Android or iOS any day of the week.

1. Anon 17

SFOS on Gemini

With SFOS 2, it was possible to partition the Gemini for Debian or Kali alongside the Jolla offering, but that option has vanished from the new partition tool. I'm not sure I want to be limited to what's available in the Jolla app store. Can one install apps from a repo wth 3.1?

Re: SFOS on Gemini

Yes, I've been and got Python for it.

3. jgarbo
    Boffin

Any LineageOS comparisons?

Has anyone tested it against Lineage OS?

https://lineageos.org

Doesn't handle my Note 4...

1. Waseem Alkurdi Silver badge

Re: Any LineageOS comparisons?

You could get an unofficial LineageOS ROM if they don't officially support it for your device.

Mind you, Sailfish OS is *NOT* Android, but features Android app support.

You can port Sailfish OS to your device yourself, though ... and I guess a Note 4 port already exists.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Any LineageOS comparisons?

Use this if you want to compare with your Note 4.

Unofficial rom means it just started and supported only by a small development team. It also means it doesn't guarantee updates unless you donation to support the developers.

4. Len Silver badge
    Happy

Good stuff

I am planning to buy a dual-SIM Xperia XA2 next month and put Sailfish on it. I'll mostly use it for my second and third number (don't ask) and as a phone to use when travelling to slightly dodgy countries like Saudi Arabia or US where I don't feel much for having my iPhone swiped at the border. I don't want an Android device and Jolla sound like just what I need.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good stuff

> and as a phone to use when travelling to slightly dodgy countries like Saudi Arabia or US

In that case make sure it is turned on before you reach security - if they see it boot up and the 'unlocked bootloader" warning that the Sony displays then they'll likely shoot you there and then. :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019