back to article Gamers get a chance to battle an AI on the QT. Plus: Robo-marines, and fisticuffs over facial recognition in Detroit

Hello, here’s a few announcements from the world of machine learning beyond what we’ve already covered this week. AlphaStar is coming out to play: AlphaStar, the StarCraft II-playing bot built by DeepMind researchers, will be facing human players in a series of 1v1 games online. StarCraft II players can enter the open …

1. Muscleguy Silver badge

I’m reminded of the problem with battle mages, while they are cooking up spells ordinary troops can turn up and chop them up or fill them full of arrows.

‘Hey drone show me your p.o.v.’ hmmm, where is that bad guy sneaking up behind that marine? hey! eurrgh!

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

Any sensible mage is busy cooking up magic missiles and such from the comfort of their own home and lobbing the resulting highly volatile concoction as far away as possible to get out of the blast zone.

This is why all my mages get multiple fireballs shoved into their spell sequencers, gotta have a nice fire going to cook something up.

2. macjules Silver badge

Officer Problems ..

This used to along the lines of be "Problem Exists Between Map and Compass". Then it became "Never let your subaltern control the GPS" and now it looks more like "Keep Rupert away from Alexa"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

General (5 stars) Electric

The additional weight of spare batteries will seriously limit their autonomy though. Till now marines just had to carry their beans and bullets, and the consumption of those was regulated and controlled. I wonder how they will solve the battery problem when parachuted in hostile territory and their mission lasts more than a couple days.

Rusticity has always been a strong point of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, I guess that time is over if henceforth they have to always stay at extension cable's length from civilization...

1. Thomassmart

Re: General (5 stars) Electric

For pipeline inspections they often use petrol drones that can fly for a few hours, and a canister of petrol is probably easier to carry around than batteries

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I was thinking about the equipment doing the actual job, your cameras and transmission equipment won't run on gas (AFAIK).

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

I doubt that the props run on petrol either, use the ICE to generate leccy and all is solved.

4. VikiAi Silver badge
    Go

Superior situational awareness.

Can't wait for the civilian implementation. For a certain portion of smart-phone users.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Truth!

I know for a fact that I would whoop some DeepMind butt in Defender/StarGate!

6. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

I don't know where you're at, but here is where A.N.Others are presently stationed/researching.

But it’s not invincible, just uses weird strategies that have probably never been seen before. The games played will not be used to train AlphaStar further, it’s more for testing.

Oh please, you cannot be serious, DeepMind/Alphabet Inc./Google. Of course more testing is further training in the search for the almighty invincibility which naturally accompanies ........ well, we're into the Vast Realms of Total Information Awareness, aren't we, and Super IntelAIgent Sentience which is able to enable IntelAIgents to Autonomously Lead via Remote Virtual Command and Control, both Invisible and Intangible and Indefensible?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't know where you're at, but here is where A.N.Others are presently stationed/researching.

2 Unlimited - Info Superhighway (Fan Made)

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

"we’re establishing superior situational awareness"

Maybe, but mostly you are teaching SkyNet how to recognize a threat and deal with it.

This will all end in tears.

8. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Well, yes, obviously

A human would be involved in any lethal action

At least on the receiving end. We promise.

9. RunawayLoop

Black guy against facial recognition tech gets arrested. No surprise there I guess other than a white women wearing a mask at the meeting allowed to apparently freely roam around...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019