back to article Years late to the SMB1-killing party, Samba finally dumps the unsafe file-sharing protocol version by default

Samba says its next release will switch off previously on-by-default support for the aging and easily subverted SMB1 protocol. It can be reenabled for those truly desperate to use the godforsaken deprecated protocol version. The open-source SMB toolkit's developers say the Samba 4.11 build, currently in preview, will by …

1. Mage Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

1980s and bad actors

We didn't have consumer broadband. Most people had dial-up, but often to unknown BBS. There was no shortage of bad actors, spying and hacking. Just less public.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Most people had dial-up"

Relatively few people had dial-up - many didn't have a modem at all, and just used computers standalone - sharing files with floppies.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Agreed. Computers were new and very intimidating to the average Joe who found them complicated enough. Adding a modem and dialing to some number was almost akin to witchcraft. Very few people needed to do that, but those who did had to learn everything themselves, because there was no Internet or Google to help them find the way.

So not only did most users work unconnected, I'd wager that most of them didn't even know you could add a modem for quite a long time.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
        Coat

Re: "Most people had dial-up"

Sharing files with floppies? Luxury that is.

We 'ad to write ones and zeroes on used chip wrapping wi' crayon, screw up the paper and throw it across room.

1. phuzz Silver badge
          Windows

Crayons and paper? Crayons and paper?! You don't know you're born!

In my day we 'ad to gather large flat leaves, and use twigs to make holes in them like an irregular puchcard! (uphill in the snow both ways).

1. LeahroyNake

Crayons and paper? Crayons and paper?! You don't know you're born!

In my day we had black boards and chalk, Excel has not progressed that much since.

1. Tom 38

Sorry to interrupt the Yorkshiremen sketch, but a lot of the programs I got were from magazine listings, you'd sit there for hours typing in to get some really quite crappy games.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Terminator

"you'd sit there for hours typing in to get some really quite crappy games."

You got games? In my day, all we got were primitives after bashing t'keyboard (or something). In an ideal world I would now reveal that I'm a games developer that would make Jeff Minter look square thanks to bashing in shit loads of very short int (0-255) laden data statements on my trusty C64.

I still have my C64, an IT company and consider myself a reasonable sysadmin. I have zero imagination (for games) and near zero ability in anything more complicated than English as a language. I can mumble perl and python and sound ridiculous in French and comical in German.

2. J. R. Hartley

Flat leaves?! Luxury.

We used to dream of having leaves. We had to dig hole int ground and lick clay wit tongue

3. annodomini2

Leave's tha' lucky bugger!

We 'ad only one la who 'ere authorised t' poke t'other guy on't t'other side o't room wit' a big stick wit' needle on't end.

Fecker were blind too!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Hans 1
        Pint

Re: 1980s and bad actors

Schwarzenegger Van Damme, Lungren ?

I hear the young praising Cleese, Moore, Connery, Redford and other actors active in the 70's and 80's, surpassing anything on the silver screen these days, forgetting oh so conveniently that we had our share of rubbish acting amateurs as well ...

Icon ? Pint o'clock where I am now ;-)

3. martinusher Silver badge

SMB -- Server Message Block -- protocol predates the 80s., its an old Xerox protocol that ran directly on 802.3 packets (802.3 is "Ethernet like" it uses what we know as the message type field as the packet length). Its actually really secure because it can't route so people eventually encapsulated the packets as UDP traffic. That would have increased the range of possibilities to exploit/abuse it.

You'd have come across SMB traffic with by PC-NET (IBM) and MS-NET (Microsoft). It handily predates Windows by many years (assuming you ignore Windows 1.0 -- I know its trendy to try to 'run' it but it was pretty naff in the 1980s -- "totally unusable" -- so its probably not improved with age).

(I don't think you'd have a problem with malware being shared using BBS because back then it would never have occurred to anyone back then that pushing executable onto a remote machine was a smart thing to do.)

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"I don't think you'd have a problem with malware being shared using BBS"

never heard of ANSI bombs?

2. Joe W Silver badge

And good riddance!

.... now, if the *nix desktop admins at my former workplace had forced the clients to use > version 2. The printserver was changed at one point to no longer acccept v.1, and that is of course a good thing. However, the client software (like... user authentification to print on "special" printers) did not like that. Let's hope that the Linux distributions follow suite and disabel the f'ing mess that SMB v.1 is by default, as they should have done a decade or so ago.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: And good riddance!

Already happened and it isn't actually a good thing on a home system. I have stuff on an ancient NAS that suddenly disappeared when I upgraded Devuan. I realised it was the new Samba client version. The quick workaround? FTP of all things.

3. Christian Berger

SMB1 is important

As Microsoft doesn't support anythiny but their most recent products, it is important to be able to still use SMB1 as that's what a _lot_ of Windows machines only support.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: SMB1 is important

Linux kernel 4.19 was released in 2018 and is projected to go EoL in 2020.

We assume that you'll keep running it anyway right?

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

And the upgrade to Win10 from earlier versions is free, just like the Linux upgrades, right?

And the upgrade to Win10 is available without an enforced change of desktop GUI, right?

2. IGotOut Silver badge

"As Microsoft doesn't support anythiny but their most recent products, it is important to be able to still use SMB1 as that's what a _lot_ of Windows machines only support.The SMBv2 protocol was introduced in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008."

The SMBv2 protocol was introduced in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.

The SMBv3 protocol was introduced in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.

In fact MS recommended NOT disabling 2&3 as it would break many services.

4. Duncan Macdonald

Still available where needed

As some embedded systems use SMB1 it is reasonable for Samba to still have it available for those cases. Having it off by default makes good sense.

(Some embedded systems still use W95 or W98 - often with long lost source code so updating them to newer more secure protocols is not practical.)

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I think the situation can be far worse than that

A few years ago I was doing support for an industrial company making plastic wrapping. As usual, I was working in the IT Admin's bureau because that's where the development PC was, so I was privy to all their conversations, and one conversation was about updating to Windows 7 (at the time).

Their situation is as follows : their production floor is based on machines that are piloted by WinXP PCs who use drivers that are undocumented, talking to the machines using a protocol nobody knows. The pilot app was coded about twenty years ago and has survived upgrades from Win 3.11 to Win XP, because the guy who coded it all was still around to help. That is no longer the case (and that there is your long lost source code).

So, in order to upgrade the PCs, either they have to commission the complete rewrite of the drivers and the apps based on unknown rules, which will take vast amounts of time and an ungodly amount of money, or they can replace the production machines, which will cost upwards of a quarter million per unit, which them has to be configured with a new PC and a new app, and that throws their entire production line under the bus for weeks at a time.

So yeah, upgrading Windows has kinda hit a brick wall there. Thankfully, the admin is not stupid enough to have the XP systems connected to the Internet, but they are on the network, so there is a risk despite the firewall cutting them off from all but the admin PC that is overseeing them (not the admin's PC, that's a different one).

1. DontFeedTheTrolls
        Boffin

Re: I think the situation can be far worse than that

Until recently I had PCs driving Inkjet printers on the production line. They were running DOS6 and a custom application that talked to an Oracle database, and had PS2 keyboards with inline barcode scanners. We never saw a need to upgrade to Windows in the early 90's, if it isn't broken, don't fix it (although we were beginning to run out of spares).

We only replaced them as the inkjet printers were replaced.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Automation for industrial production requires a different mind-set from office applications. People in the early days of the personal computer had that mind-set because they were the sort of people who tinkered with stuff and a soldering iron was as much part of their lives as a keyboard.

Then the personal computer became the PC that approach became a minority interest and as MicroSoft became Microsoft they had no time for those who were their customers in the early days - the new market was much bigger. That mind-set has been lost.

2. HarryBl

Post Office counter machines run NT4 even today...

1. david 12 Silver badge

But note that SMB1 isn't "vulnerable". It's old servers that are vulnerable. Getting rid of an unsupported protocol just has the happy effect of forcing people off old servers and other old computers.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"but they are on the network"

Not "a network" (physical separation) or even "a vlan" (logical isolation)

That's bad enough. If the other systems or the gateway can see them, then they're vulnerable.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Off by default"

sounds secure, until someone discovers how to turn it back on in code.

1. Ragarath

Re: "Off by default"

Not hard to discover. They tell you exactly how to do so should you require it.

1. Craig 2

I think what he means is that it's another security exploit vector. Find ANY exploit that silently switches smb1 back on and then use the copious amounts of ready made exploit code for smb1.

Better to just nuke it from orbit, only way to be sure...

1. Donn Bly

If you are far enough in to turn it back on, then you might as well install your own back door instead of using a SMB1 as a buggy one.

2. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

"I think what he means is that it's another security exploit vector. Find ANY exploit that silently switches smb1 back on and then use the copious amounts of ready made exploit code for smb1."

Don't think that's a problem -- the samba code is fairly clean in terms of turning things on or off via a config file (which, as usual in UNIX, is not writeable by regular users.) I'm quite confident you would not be able to just turn smb1 back via samba itself.

6. jason 7

Thankfully...

....managed to pension off all the SMB1 kit I had out there in the wild over a year ago. A load of encrypted Seagate NAS boxes.

Still got a huge pile of wiped 1TB HDDs sitting somewhere...

7. ivan5

Now we wait...

for all the complaints on the various NAS forums when people lose connection to their backups and files that are on nas boxes that are SMB v1.0 only with no hope of an update.

1. brotherelf

Re: Now we wait...

Why, that already happened, when it got turned off-by-default in Windows long ago.

FWIW, I'm surprised that "we'll ship a different default config" warrants an article. Reading the leader, I expected it to be "this is now a compile-time switch that defaults to off", and frankly, I'd be not surprised at all if all major distros already ship a stronger default config.

1. onebignerd

Not too long ago, SMBv1 has only been turned off by default since build 1709 of Windows 10, only a year and a half. Microsoft only deprecated SMBv1 in 2014, then took three more years to turn it off.

1. jason 7

I got quite a lot of calls from folks who couldn't hook up to their NAS after an update, about 2 years ago.

I looked up what the issue was and just switched SMB1 back on. However, as I mentioned earlier it was the wake up call that those devices were on death row from that point.

It was quite handy as I hated them. They only managed around 10MBps with the encryption enabled on a gigabit connection.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

No. We've already had that.

If you are imagining loads of non-technical end-users losing contact with the NAS boxes, then you are probably imagining Windows users, who lost SMB1 support (by default) a little while back. Any users disappointed by this announcement are Linux-heads and presumably know how to modify /etc/samba/smb.conf.

We've also already had the complaints when Microsoft stopped tolerating LAN manager passwords and people discovered that their NAS had been configured to use those and the NAS box's smb.conf was not accessible because the vendor had locked the device down.

3. Lee D Silver badge

Your data isn't secure if you're using an entirely-broken protocol to store it.

It's not like you *can't* get your data back out, it just won't be automatic.

Anyone with a NAS that doesn't allow web-access, SMBv2+, etc. anyway is throwing their money away on useless junk and probably needs to update quite substantially anyway, before that thing dies.

You can't keep everything around for the sake of convenience "just because it used to work".

SMBv1 has been known insecure since the days of Server 2003. You need to upgrade once every 15 years or so. Or implement the well-documented "this is insecure" workarounds that are all over the internet.

Seriously, it's like whining that you can't do NetBIOS over IPX any more... get with the program if that data is of any import, and upgrade/reconfigure/replace. If it's not, then you'll tolerate loss of immediate access to that data anyway.

You wouldn't expect a car to last 15 years without maintenance, let alone some crappy Chinese cheap NAS box that doesn't support anything other than SMBv1.

1. fobobob

I recall trivially exploitable directory traversals on Win95. Also WinNuke.

2. david 12 Silver badge

SMB1 is not a broken protocol. And it isn't used to store data. And 99.9% of the time it isn't used to connect to encrypted file stores.

Perhaps you've been confused by wishful thinking: I don't see any other explanation.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe someone needs to tell ASUS (and I suspect others). They are still shipping routers that will only support SMB1 for file sharing on a USB connected devices.

1. ilmari

I've been told that yes, they're aware they're still running smbv1, but they can't update it because the branch of Samba with >SMBv1 support is *massive* and simply won't fit in the available flash memory.

The mythical unattributed source also claimed there have been backporting efforts to get >SMBv1 support in the lean and "unbloated" branch of Samba, but it's too unstable to be deployable.

So yeah, this is my usecase for SMBv1 too, harddrive hooked up to WiFi router, and PCs backup to that network drive. And I'm too cheap to pay for a router with enough flash to fit recent samba. :-)

1. Orv Silver badge

My solution was to plonk an old Mac Mini under the router. They make a cute stack.

8. IGnatius T Foobar !

The story of Samba SMB1 is fascinating.

Back when Andrew Tridgell was building the first version of Samba, he didn't even know that there was such a protocol. He had a copy of DEC Pathworks running, which was a product that allowed DEC machines to act as file servers to DOS and Windows clients. And he basically reverse engineered it, byte by byte, until he had an equivalent server running. There were opaque blobs of bytes that he just reproduced without knowing what they did.

So ... hats off to an excellent hacker who produced something very useful, even before he understood the protocol he was implementing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The story of Samba SMB1 is fascinating.

Since then the SAMBA project has turned into a complete monster, with horrible/buggy code (regular CVEs - it's a genuine surprise when a new minor release doesn't include a fix for one or more security vulnerabilities), and the WAF build system is a nightmare of epic proportions.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oooh look at all the downvotes!

/waves at the samba.org developers! Ha ha.

1. Jeremy Allison

Samba developer here, responsible for some of the CVE's you're laughing at :-).

Yes, complex software has security bugs, especially if it's written in C. The measure of a project is how it handles them though. I'd argue the fact we report and fix our CVE's makes us *more*, not less trustworthy.

There's no hiding your bugs in FLOSS code.

I agree with you on waf though, but most of the Team members just love python code, so what can you do :-). If I'd had my way it'd probably have been cmake instead, but you have to compromise with your colleagues to get anything done at all.

If you contribute to FLOSS code you'll know what I mean :-).

2. Orv Silver badge

It's clunky, but a lot of that is that the protocols they support are clunky things designed incrementally, with obscure and bloated specs.

Mind you, starting from a clean sheet doesn't always help -- I was trying to run NFSv4 for a while and the number of bugs in the Linux kernel implementation of that were just amazing. Eventually I switched to NFSv3 because it performed better and was less buggy.

9. keb
    Meh

business copiers

Some of the large printers/copiers/scanners used by small offices (and commonly leased from 3rd parties with little or no config support) have SMB1 as a default scan to pc method. There are workarounds such as usb stick or email or ftp of course, but it takes a while to figure out why something that worked for 5 years suddenly doesnt. Users and techs like to blame it on Windows 10 updates, and they would be correct in this case.

1. Orv Silver badge

Re: business copiers

A long-time pain point for me has been the inability of those machines to support Email authentication or STARTTLS. For what those beasts cost you'd think the firmware would be better.

10. doke

I have a few read-only shares, for playing mp3s and such. I want them to be available via SMB1 for older client devices. I would never expose a share read-write over SMB1.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like