back to article Bloodhound gang rides again: That's the Super Sonic Car bods, not the bawdy novelty pop act

Brit sonic boom botherers Bloodhound are back and ready for a jaunt to South Africa (SA). The Bloodhound Land Speed Record (LSR) project – formerly Super Sonic Car (SSC) – has emerged fighting fit as Yorkshire-based businessman Ian Warhurst refuelled the project with some high-octane cash. Speaking to reporters yesterday, …

1. Phil Kingston Silver badge

You and me baby ain't nuthin but Saffas

Let's do it like they do on the Discovery Channel

2. Ian Michael Gumby Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Now the 'Think of the Children' icon makes sense!

Ok,,, so while this is all and fun, I have to ask does this make sense in terms of the climate change? Where's the carbon offset ?

1. Sgt_Oddball Silver badge

Re: Now the 'Think of the Children' icon makes sense!

Well you could go asking a biofuel company for sponsorship. Pretty sure that would help, and look good for them too - 'look at how much bang for your buck you get, enough to get the land speed record*'

* though by this point its pretty much flying a gnats testicle above the ground as I would have thought that the boundary layer effect at super sonic speeds would introduce some interesting and extreme effects (large assumption and I'd be fascinated to hear from more knowledgeable people than myself)

2. Oh Matron!

Completely carbon neutral. They are using the tears of a unicorn to fuel it...

Go back and read the article. This is not just a folly. As mentioned, there's few, untested models of supersonic travel at ground level. This will provide tonnes of data for said models that can be used in the future for a whole range of objectives.

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Boffin

This is one car designed to run a limited number of times, as efficiently as possible, that will test materials and techniques to the limit (hopefully not beyond), providing a huge amount of information.

Compared to:

Millions of barely maintained cars, each covering much greater distance on a daily basis. That does provide information of course - a progressively more accurate account of how crap most drivers are.

3. AIBailey
    Pint

Andy Green...

Balls of steel. As far as "dangerous hobbies" go, this has to be right up at the very top.

From my hometown as well, so I'll raise a pint to him.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Re: Andy Green...

Seconded. Not only that but previously I only wanted to know “How fast?” and never knew him to say much. Turns out he is articulate and smart and conveys complex notions easily. AND he turns out even to have been not merely a steady driver but a perhaps the mainstay of the entire project.

At the risk of lowering the tone of this whole item: Andy Green for Prime Minister!

1. Red Ted
        Go

As he probably really doesn't want to be the UK's PM, he sounds ideal for the job.

From Douglas Adams:

“The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.

To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

It's almost as if he saw Trump (and Boris) coming.

4. STOP_FORTH
    Boffin

Helpful suggestion

The Spectrum Pursuit Vehicles had rear facing seats to protect driver in event of high speed crash.

They'll need a mirror as well, and cross your hands over on the steering wheel.

Hope that helps.

5. Cuddles Silver badge

When is a land speed record not a land speed record?

"As the speed increases, the wheels will rise out of the mud and plane along the surface like a speedboat on water with just a few millimetres of metal connecting car with ground."

It seems we're reaching a point where it's no longer enough to just time the run, but need to check if the vehicle is actually on the ground for the whole thing.

6. earl grey Silver badge
    Pint

i wish them the best

Have a few.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019