back to article Who needs 4th July fireworks when there's a new Windows 10 build?

While the US prepared to celebrate its escape from the clutches of British control – a USexit if you will – Microsoft continued its rich tradition of flinging out software and fixing bugs. Eye-eye – it's another build of Windows 10 After the wholly unsurprising revelation that (1) Windows 10 19H2 would be a thing and (2) that …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

Something is missing

What ? A new Windows 1 0 release and no tale of woe ? I feel weird.

And I stocked up on the popcorn . . .

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: Something is missing

Don't worry... Early days yet.

Plenty of 'Eye Candy' to go wrong isn't there?

I'm sure that the 'Bork Reports' will soon start surfacing. :) :)

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Something is missing

Apparently it's borking VPNs if you have the telemetry dialled down to 0 (so, only on the Enterprise version).

2. Shadow Systems

Let me think...

On the one hand there's explosives handled improperly by drunken arseholes that seem intent on torching everything in sight all in the name of having the right to be a drunken arsehole that can buy explosives & matches,

On the other hand is Microsoft.

Hmmmm... let me think...

Tough choice!

On a more serious note, the inclusion of the Accessibility features is a welcome change, but given MS' history of yanking features/functions/programs on a whim, I can't in all honesty think it will last past the next update.

When you *require* that screen reader to work correctly out of the box on boot & be talking the moment the Windows chime finishes, having to jump through artificial tech hoops to get it to work is A Very Bad Thing(TM).

Will the next update break something the 'reader requires to function? Will it break something you otherwise rely upon to Get Shit Done? Because if the update borks something & you can't see to fix it, MS will once again have shot their customers in the face in the name of using us as their QA department.

I'm happy they included the Accessibility updates. It's a much needed thing. But I'm also all too well familiar with MS fucking things up just to fuck with things, and that means I can't GSD if I use Windows 10.

Good thing my primary system is still running Win7, I can reliably GSD that way. And yes, the secondary computer is still running Ubuntu so I can teach myself the ins & outs of Linux, ultimately weening myself off MS entirely.

Thank you Microsoft for forcing me to upgrade. I decided to upgrade right the hell off the Infinite Microsoft Upgrade Treadmill(TM) and move to Linux! =-D

3. cdrcat

Mmmmm, PostreSQL: a new dessert* based DB that tastes way better than PostgreSQL!

* Postre means dessert in Spanish.

4. Smoking Man

"Build 18932 is all about accessibility.."

I would think the first and most important step to achieve a meaningful concept of accessibility is A WORKING AND USABLE OS.

Listen, MS, GET YOUR FREAKIN', F*CKING UPDATE CONCEPT IN ORDER!

The current concept of repetitive Patch download, installation, reboot and rollback ain't funny by any means.

Nor are the useless "0x8002<something> error messages that seem to be spit out by a random number generator.

If your Update Repair Tool thinks that the Windows Update Database needs a fix, THEN HAVE YOUR UPDATE REPAIR TOOL FIX IT.

And don't leave it to the user to repair it <somehow>.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Build 18932 is all about accessibility.."

Smoking Man,

"I would think the first and most important step to achieve a meaningful concept of accessibility is A WORKING AND USABLE OS."

1st, I understand why you are a 'Smoking Man" ;) :)

2nd, The other option to the angst/pain of Windows 10 is ...... just run Windows 7 and get on with life !!!

:)

1. OldSoCalCoder

Re: "Build 18932 is all about accessibility.."

I DO understand why he's smoking mad, and you don't.

I was called Friday afternoon on Jul 5th and was told that the main pc at an office 'kept booting'. I knew what it was since I've dealt with it before - an update from Microsoft that was forced on the pc and failed. Great - 6:30am Sat I made the 120 mile, 2 hour drive to this office, walked in and watched this pc 'rolling back update, please wait, boot, installing update please wait, fail error flash for milliseconds, rolling back update, please wait... Fast forward to Mon 8:30pm after spending the weekend trying to get this pc in any reasonable state, buying a new pc, sitting on phone while business application people installed needed software.

The point is I'm down 480 miles in travel, 8 hours sitting in the car, 36 hours of my time, cost of a new pc and an expensive software reinstallation charge ON A PC THAT WAS WORKING PERFECTLY DAYS AGO.

I have NO say in whether or not this update happens. There is NO 'skip this forced update'. If you know of one, please let me know.

Pissed off and ready to use a lot of uppercase typing? You bet. If you haven't been through this experience you don't know. Microsoft's forced update policy has wasted my time and money and I'm pissed off about it because there's nothing I can do about it.

5. Kobus Botes
    Facepalm

...generally available in South Africa North and South Africa West

Wait... WHAT??!

From the announcement: "...now generally available in the recently announced regions of South Africa North and South Africa West."

I'm confused: did Microsoft announce the new regions, or was it the government/ANC (as if nine provinces aren't enough)? And how did everyone here miss it? Or did they simply rename Gauteng and Western Cape to South Africa North and South Africa West respectively to make it easier for 'merkins to unnerstand? (judging by the cities named).

Enquiring minds want to know!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Kobus Botes
      Facepalm

Re: ...generally available in South Africa North and South Africa West

Two thumbs down?

Satya and whoever wrote that drivel?

Or is it the allusion to American's shocking knowledge of geography? Then you should award yourselves athumb down or two:

https://www.rferl.org/a/1068259.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10640690/Americans-surveyed-misunderstood-misrepresented-or-ignorant.htmlhttps://www.earth.com/news/american-geographic-illiteracy-security-threat/

Ohhhh... I get it - it was the (NSFW) typo. Now I've learned something I did not necessarily want to know.

Oops.

(Kept the links in case that was what rankled).

Ps. Icon for my (innocent) spelling error)

PPs I withdrew my original comment in order to protect the innocent at work (failed to add NSFW)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like